Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Good Maiden on DHeX today!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Good Maiden on DHeX today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 02:21 AM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Maiden on DHeX today!

The Maiden Voyage ocurred today for my Doghouse eXtreme powered by a ST G90. My only concern was that it came out a little bit heavy at 6 pounds even. CG is at the aft limit shown on the plans.

It went off without a hitch, and only required 2 clicks of left aileron and a click or 2 of elevator. Not too bad!

I started off by running a tankful of fuel through the engine on the ground. On the first run, it would hold idle very nicely, and had decent transition even though I had it running so rich it would only spin the MAS 14-6 at 8600 at full throttle. I was happy with the way it was running, so I leaned it just a tad up to about 9K, and then refueled, and away it went.

Still running it slobbering rich, and vertical was unlimited at 2/3 throttle. With the aileron throw I had set up, it will do about 3 rolls per second. Wow. I can't wait until I get a few more tanks of fuel through it so I can lean it out a bit more!!!

I tried a few hovers with it, and got it to hang there for about 10 seconds a few times, and also did some real awesome tail slides. (this is going to be my hover trainer).

One thing that is bothering me, is that it snaps to the right on a hard pull on the elevator, like if you're going to do a wall. I didn't think about it till now, but maybe the rudder needs a bit of trimming? Any suggestions?

That ST G90 is looking like it's going to be a SWEEEEEEEEET engine!!! (and it's one of the China versions). I opened up prior to the first run, and it was pristine inside. No chips, dirt, or anything foul. Just as you would expect a top quality engine to be.

From my experience so far (3 flights plus 1 tankful on the ground), I'd say "Have no fear of the new SuperTigre's!!

SuperTigre is back!
Old 07-14-2003, 03:59 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I flew a buddies DHeX and it had a MDS 58 in the nose... Boy was the engine a POS!! he tried 3 different carbs on that dog and it never wood stay lit for longer that 5 or 6 minutes.... It would die at the weirdest times.... When it was running, it seemed to pull the DH arround pretty well... Couldn't get a very good harrier out of it... Couldn't do much hovering because of the engine issue... I bet that ST 90 will pull the snot out of a DH!!!

Good to know about the China ST's... I've got a ST 90 in the nose of my 60 size SuDoKhoi and I love it... Great engine, throttles great, idles great, awesome motor. What prop are you running? I like the 14 x 6 the best.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Kevins_RC

Try the APC 15x4W prop on the ST90. I love it on the Ecstasy, though I am running a Mac Pipe and Header on my ST90 and I'm taching around 9k (I think)
Kevin
Old 07-14-2003, 09:22 PM
xlr82v2

Yep, I'm truly impressed with the G90 so far. Fuel consumption isn't too bad either... with it slobbering rich, I'm estimating it's burning about 1 ounce per minute the way I've been running it.

Right now I'm running a Master Airscrewed 14-6 "flexi-prop" (if you have one, you know what I mean) on it. So far I've only leaned it enough to turn about 9K on the ground. Doing a "pinch test" really gets the revs up... so I'm optimistic that it'll turn that prop at 11K+ on the ground once it's broken in. So far, I haven't been able to get past the sticker shock for an APC prop for this engine... $13+ for the 14-6. The Master Airscrewed was only about $6. Went to the LHS after work today looking for some lumber to put on the front, and they only had MAS wood 14-6 scimitar props. No other wood there that was the appropriate size. Anybody have any comments on the MAS wood Scimitar props?

It's cool to have an airplane that will accelerate vertically. Really cool. I can't wait until the engine is broken in fully! :bananahea

I've already seen what you guys mean by "in the grove" when it comes to hovering. I got in the groove for about 10 seconds a couple of times, and about that time I realized "Hey you big dummy, you're hovering!" That's when I lost it and fell out.

Which is best for hovering: Flaperons on or off?

The flaperons help the snap issue on a hard pull, but it still does it, just have to pull harder than without.

I can see I'm going to have a blast with this airplane!