Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

hovering is easy

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 04:36 PM
JAYNC
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hovering is easy

Learning to hover isnt all that hard, just get a good computer radio and use a lot of exponetial. I have a morris hobbies gee whiz bee with a .91 saito and a 14x6 master airscrew. maybe a little overkill for the bee but boy is it ever fun.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:07 PM
H.Dale
My Feedback: (3)

Default What about Torque Rolls?

I recently put up a thread inquiring about how long it takes the average flyer to learn to hover. I am also trying to learn torque rolls. I think they are much harder. Hovering can be done into the wind fairly easy, but when you pull the plane vertical and it starts to rotate it gets a lot harder.

I notice a number of suggestions for a good plane to learn on have a short fuse which lends itself to hovering, but it not too good for torque rolls. What is a good airplane for both?

Hal
Old 07-17-2003, 06:38 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default hovering is easy

The longer the fuselage, the easier it's going to be to hover and torque roll. It will naturally be more stable in that attitude...

The problem is that as you get a longer fuselage, it's get's harder and harder to pull it back up once it starts to fall. It takes a bigger control surface with more throw to do the same thing.

You will see that most of the Morris Airplanes, the Flip 3D, and the UCD all have very long tail moments. That's why they are so great for hovering...It slows them down when it comes to snaps, spins, and tumbles though. There is a trade-off for EVERYTHING.

Of course those airplanes have control surfaces so dang big, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference...

Try this thread-

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...133&forumid=21]
Old 07-17-2003, 07:01 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default hovering is easy

Hovering is easy

:stupid:
Old 07-17-2003, 07:33 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Default hovering is easy

JAYNC, while hovering comes easier for some than others. I still stick with the fact that it is not that easy or everybody would be doing it. It takes time to learn for the average flier. I would guess a month of heavy practice to learn hovering good. Then you would need to get the belly angle down, then TR'n, then the inverted harriers and so on. I respect the fact it may have came easy for you, it did for me too. I was hovering within a couple weeks confidently, but I have went on to more advanced hover type things and they get more and more difficult. Bottom line is that I enjoy it and it is fun. Jeff W.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:40 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hovering is easy

Originally posted by JohnVH
:stupid:
No words required, the look said it all!!

Leads me to wonder, is it easier to hover an airplane or a helicopter?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: hovering is easy

hovering is easy
So is riding a unicycle......after you figure it out.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:18 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default hovering is easy

Originally posted by tiggerinva
Leads me to wonder, is it easier to hover an airplane or a helicopter?
Helicopter, by a factor of about 10,000 in my case. After that , flying a plane is easier, but learning to hover a heli was a LOT easier to me than (still learning) hovering a plane.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Default hovering is easy

Hovering might be easy for some. Hovering over the deck is never easy on the nerves the first 20 or so times.
JayNC
Do you hover down low?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:57 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default hovering is easy

Jeff said it well.....

Basically, There is a LOT more to 3D than just hovering and TR'ing.
Work on Inverted harriers where the rudder seems reversed, hover low in a little wind upside down, do low waterfalls, high alpha rolls in both directions while in a rolling circle...... The list goes on and on.

Theres always more to learn.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:04 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Default hovering is easy

Good point Wayne, you said what I meant in better detail.
Dave, McDonald, that is also a good anology, also how did that mousse can work on your Cap an OS 160. Jeff W.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hovering is easy

Errrrrrrr........uhhhhhhh........it seems that I got bit by the Qhor/SPA3D bug........and came down with an acute case of Fearless Fun Flying.

The result is that the Cap and the OS 160 got pushed back down on the priority list........along with my ready-to-cover Menace.....a partially constructed PBXL.......and a slightly broken Fazer.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:15 PM
akahoverit

Default hovering is easy

I to learned to hover in a very short time, and have been doing it on and off for years now and can run a tank through it in hover, but I still have not mastered T'R's, I can do 1 but then I get sketchy, I am getting more comfortable with it though. It's hard when your hovering 5 feet off the deck knowing that if you start T'Ring you may go home and have to fix it. It's all about running lots of nitro and putting in the hrs. And watching Wayne Geffen and Jeff Williams helps to LOL.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:01 PM
JRozman-delete

Default I agree

Doing an inverted parachute to an inverted harrier to a inverted pop up to a TR on the deck to a gear grab at night with a mosquito buzzing in your ear and Gator and Paul casting aspersions about your manhood and your wife b!tchin to go home and a case of the red ***** and your glasses smudged is easy.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:45 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: I agree

Originally posted by JRozman
Doing an inverted parachute to an inverted harrier to a inverted pop up to a TR on the deck to a gear grab at night with a mosquito buzzing in your ear and Gator and Paul casting aspersions about your manhood and your wife b!tchin to go home and a case of the red ***** and your glasses smudged is easy.
Well yeah....with smudged glasses!!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: I agree

Originally posted by JRozman
I feel your pain Jess. That mosquito, Paul and Gator buzzing aroud really makes it tuff.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:29 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Default hovering is easy

Hovering is easy? Well, I guess compared to some things it is.

Maybe since it is so easy, we can see your picture of you doing a tail touch to the ground.

Hovering 50 feet up, for 10 seconds, now that's easy. Now let's get nuts, and harrier, dragging the rudder on the ground, and then pull up to a waist high hover, and plop that rudder straight down into the grass. Oh yeah, that's easy too, it's the not crashing part that's tough.

Old 07-18-2003, 05:54 PM
JRozman-delete

Default hovering is easy

Ulf, Chuck, LOL.

JAYNC, just funnin' at your expense. As for expo, I use very little. 20 to 30%.

I guess to some, hovering is easy, the rest of us had to burn a bunch of 3D juice to learn how to do it.

Jess
Old 07-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default hovering is easy

There's definitely a point where you get the right plane (and have it set up properly) and burn enough 3D Juice where it all comes together.

It's still not easy after that, but compared to before that moment, it's 100 times easier now. The main issue is confidence. After that moment, you are confident that after a day of hovering, your plane will be in one piece. Then you can go lower (which makes hovering easier) and it all comes together even more. Then you get too cocky and crack something up - but man was it a blast!!!

My circle flying days are over.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2003, 02:32 PM
crashlessons

Default unicycle

"so is riding a unicycle"

The trick there is to not trying to stay on top of it, but rather work at keeping the wheel beneath your weight.

If you think of it that way, it seems easier to learn. Was for me anyway. I learned that and juggling when I was a little kid. (never know when you may decide to run off an join the circus)
Best way to learn a one-wheeler is with an old push mower.

Kinda the same with hovering. Keep the tail beneath....

Now for the next level. Inverted hover with a pusher prop!!

Old 07-19-2003, 02:32 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Default hovering is easy

Hovering Easy???

Well it depends. I tried to hover for a year or two but the fact was that I didnt have the right tool for the job. I couldnt buy one of the nice 40% that hover so I had to learn on a giant stinger (with a G-62) That airplane is hard to learn hover b/c it torque rolls without you telling it to and no matter how much aileron you put into it you cant stop it. Then I switched over to the 3D planes and its MUCH easier, but to call it easy??? I dunno. I can do a tail touch but I have worked my @$$ off to be able to do it. I usually give advice to the up and rising 3D hopefuls at the field that if you want to do the hovering and stuff you have to have the right plane, servos, and engine combo. I built a modified SPAD Qhor last week and it hovers as easy as anything out there but you still got to have that stick time.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Luke 3D returns

Default hovering is easy

Another juggler on RCU apart from me!blimey.

Hovering is easy.....................compared to pissing in the corner of a round room!

I found that if there is a cross wind blowing, it can get around the wing if your hovering, and push the wing round quickly, inspite of any aileron input to counterract. This made me really scared that it would happen low down, and that i would lose it, but now i just go with it and do a t/r back to a hover.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:19 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default hovering is easy

I learned to hover on my Sig SE pretty quick. I did use G2 over the winter to practice. My third or forth flight I was hovering at 15- 20 feet. Torque rolling came fairly easy too (after the g2 training). I can't hover all day, but I can do a fair job, and I'm getting better every time I fly.