Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
Reload this Page >

PST 600R cut out

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

PST 600R cut out

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 10:36 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PST 600R cut out

I have a new PST 600R that was put into a Kangaroo. The turbine starts and calibrates itself perfectly. A full RPM and idle check is done all is good. Idle was raised to 58000 RPM. After about one minute the turbine just quits. This happened three times in a row. It does not seem to matter if the turbine is idling or is up around 70000RPM. The fuel system was checked and seems to be functional. When the testing was done it was about 40F outside. The ECU battery was above 8 volts all the time. No fault codes given.

Any Ideas what may be happening?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: PST 600R cut out

Hi Peter,

The Ground Display Terminal should have shown you a reading as to the cause of the shut down. If the engine came with the latest manual (v 1.5.2) please have a look at pages 18 and 19. On page 18 you will see the screen layout (also shown below). On that layout, you will see a series of number 1-8. These depict positions of asterisks (*) that tell the user the reason for the shut down. The positions you need to look at are:

Position 1: RPM out of limits
Position 2: EGT out of limits
Position 4: User-commanded shut down (stick-down, trim-down), or loss of R/C signal.

Depending on the running situation, a buildup of air in the fuel system can cause the RPM or EGT to drop below limits, at which time #1 or #2 should display the shut down code.

Following that, I've seen what appears to be exactly the same problem last year at the 2003 Whidbey Island jet meet. A customer had a PST that flamed out as soon as he taxied out and got ready for a flight, several times in a row and it seemed totally independent of the throttle setting. It was a while ago, but I believe the problem was quickly traced back to a fuel filter either leaking air into the system on the suction side of the pump, or the filter was causing significant resistance in the system. If your fuel system looks dry, there's still a chance it could be leaking air into the system. A fuel filter or faulty fitting on the output side of the pump will show as leak inside the aircraft. A leak on any element placed on the input side of the pump will likely not show any fuel residue...

If possible, eliminate all your fitters and unnecessary fitting elements from the system and re-run a new fuel line on either side of the pump, to the UAT(or header tank) and to the engine. There are propane and fuel filters integrated with the engine. These are accessible by removing the purple fairing, held down by 3 x M3 socket head cap screws. Do not remove the integrated filters from the system, but check for fuel residue on the kero line and open it up to see if its plugged with debris.

Users are permitted to service the fuel filters (shown below) without any risk of losing their warranty. Please try not to disturb the hall-effect RPM sensor while you have the cover off though.

Please have a look and let me know how it works out.

Thanks,
Kelly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19267.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	192798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41048.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	192799  
Old 11-14-2004, 11:30 AM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PST 600R cut out

Hi Peter,

Assuming that all settings are according to the manual, have the TX been calibrated thru "Learn R/C Parameters" function? As Kelly mentioned, please let us know what is the cause of shutdown as indicated on the GDT. Clogged-up filter/clunk or insufficient venting will cause fuel pump to stall. We had this problem from one customer and the problem traced back to his header tank system with felt clunk clogging. If you are using OS super filter, there are about 3-4 filter screens inside and you only need one.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
B777