Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 Mounting Engine Inverted >

Mounting Engine Inverted

Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

Mounting Engine Inverted

Old 11-20-2004, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Engine Inverted

Hello J600 owners,

I installed the J600R in the Skymaster Gripen with the engine inverted inorder to have easy access to the glow plug. I have found out that mounting the engine inverted with glow plug at 5-7 O'Clock positions will cause "Hung Start". I managed to start the engine in this position with the assistance of an air blower. Once started, engine operated normally and not affected by the mounting position.

To avoid the "Hung Start", please rotate the engine so that the glow plug is out of the mentioned positions. We are looking into the problem and will fix this flaw asap.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:37 PM

Default RE: Mounting Engine Inverted

This problem is not consistant and some installations will not be affected by the inverted position. We have played around with lower gas pressure and that solved the problem. Obviously, air blower also resolved the problem. The strange thing is that the same engine mounted in exact inverted position behaves differently in different airframes. We have no problem with the engine inverted in F4 and L-39 but get hung start in the Gripen. If you experience this hung start problem, please let us know.

Thank you.
Kraivuth S.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Mounting Engine Inverted

More experiment and testing were done. The hung start occurs at around 30,000 rpm and the problem is associated with the starting gas pressure. I was using large portable picnic bottle with the valve fully open passing thru a small onboard canister and solenoid valve. I got hung start with the aids of external tank with valve fully open while getting normal start without the external tank. If you are experiencing the hung start problem, try lowering the gas pressure.

Thanks.
B777