Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 glow plug burn >

glow plug burn

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

glow plug burn

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default glow plug burn

Hi!

I just receive my pst 600 and when i start the turbine, i receive message '' glow fail" ???

The value is setting about 210 and i burn 4 plug OS 3
I change the value to 150 and the turbine is ok! no glow plug burn???

Why the standard value is 210???

Tanks!
David
Old 07-26-2005, 01:32 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: glow plug burn

Hi David,

To allow for a range of atmospheric conditions and varying levels of startup gas flow, different plugs, exposure of element, etc. often some users may require glow driver voltages on the higher side. Personally, with the valve I use, start gas type, and my usual atmospheric conditions, I typically run my A3's in the range of 1.6 - 1.7V. I may boost that to 1.8 (rarely) if it starts to miss the odd ignition or two.

Sorry to hear about your plugs, normally that's not the case as they should survive short bursts at increased voltages. Also, something may have been overlooked as I believe the default setting is 180, and that should prove reliable in most circumstances... Clearly a glow plug should last longer if less voltage is applied to them. For that reason I usually recommend that new customers immediately start decreasing the voltages on their glow driver in the first few starts, until they start to recognize a lower ignition repeatability from start to start. Going up one or two tenths from that point is probably the optimum setup. It only takes a few starts to find the ideal voltage, and it sounds like you're on the right path. If 1.5 ever misses, give 1.6 or 1.7 a try.

One final note, trying to evenly stress each coil of the plug when exposing the element should also extend the life, although I haven't got any data to back that up...

Good luck with the engine.
Kelly