Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > PST Jets
 onboard components >

onboard components

Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

onboard components

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:55 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default onboard components

Gents

is it possible to purchase just the onboard components (i.e. ECU, propane solenoid, fuel pump etc?)

I plan on using my engine in two airplanes and would like to be able to just swap the motor between the two.

thanks

buck
Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: onboard components

Hey Buck,

You're not the first person to ask. The items are available separately, but there may be an issue with the hand data terminal you have and the new ECU. Nothing serious, as far as I know it just won't be able to access the glitch counter and failsafe shutdown time limit menu options. That can all be easily upgraded though.

Can you tell me what the software versions are for your ECU and data terminal? They should both appear on the boot up screen; display terminal software on the left, and ECU software on the right.

Thanks,
Kelly

PS, after chatting earlier in the week, did you get my follow up message about reconfiguring the start fuel circuit without the on-board canister?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:00 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

yeah bro'

I got your follow up message regarding the propane. so, let me get this straight, in order to use Powermax I need to invert the can so as not to inject liquid propane?

I haven't run the engine yet but will within the next week or so. the engine is roughly 5 months old, so I assume it's got the latest and greatest software

however, when I run her I'll let you know what it comes up with

thanks for the quick response

buck
Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, that's right.

(1) With the canister removed and starting the engine with an external start fuel source...
Since the powermax can has a clunk, you'll need to invert it. Any other canister without the clunk will be right side up. If you're ever unsure, just pull your trigger valve and check to see if you get liquid. I suppose you could get an overly full powermax canister and get liquid when inverted, but that shouldn't happen for long since the clunk will soon be surrounded by gaseous fuel. The engine should only ever see gaseous start fuel...

(2) With the tank on-board and starting conventionally...
Use the powermax can right side up (and a clunk-less canister up side down) to fill the on-board system. If you decide to give it a shot while the engine is starting and you think the on-board tank is low, use it as above in (1).

The point is...
If the engine is starting off the internal tank, the tank is suppose to be oriented such that the outlet is at the top or such that the gaseous fuel escapes and not the liquid. To fill that on-board tank obviously you need to extract the liquid from the external canister (powermax: right side up, camp stove canister inverted), but it runs to the bottom of the internal tank and boils to again provide gaseous start fuel to the engine.

As an added benefit to the external config, you'll notice your start fuel will last much longer. This is because you never feed from the liquid fuel, which continually boils off to produce the gaseous content at the top, which is much less dense.

I'll put together a clearer picture and post it here once I'm back from Whidbey. (you coming by the way?)

Kelly