Community
Search
Notices
PST Jets Direct support for PST Jets Turbines.

first run

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:20 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default first run

I don't guess it will ever get old. i ran my PST 600 today. after switching the ramp up paramters to 75 she lit off without a hitch every time.

unfortunatly its a version 2.22 ECU and not the latest as I had hoped since it was a relatively new engine (purchased used from the hawaii gang)

anyhow, Kelly

thanks for your input and you too Gregg, I know you're out there also. I ran it off of Coleman propane and the light offs were smooth as silk. I even disconnected the propane solenoid after running and sure enough the engine didn't care that it was gone.

I look forward to getting her airborne in the next week or so.

cheers

buck
Old 10-19-2005, 07:49 PM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: first run

Hi Buck, please keep us update on your progress.

Enjoy,
Kraivuth S.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
blackcat

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hi kraivuth this is jaguar jeff, i pick up tonight from ric b pst 1300, yippi! nice, nice engine!!! for s/m f18. thanks!!! jaguar still happy jetcat 80. see you at wangaratta?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 AM
B777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,

J1300R will push the SM F18 vertical...easy on the throttle...I fly around with just 60-70% power. Take off in about 70m. F18 is a floater so slow her down in a long final until you have more stick time. You will like the power and the sound of this engine.

Hope to be at Wangaratta.

Cheers,
Kraivuth S.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
yeahbaby

well...I've had the opportunity to run her a few more times since my first post.

starts have been hit or miss, I can't figure out if the ECU is power critical (i.e. needs a fresh charge from the ECU pack every start) or if the propane cannister I was using had only marginal propane and thus delaying the ramp up cycle.

I'm leaning towards the problem being with the propane but thought I'd ask you guys.

the parameters for the engine are nearly at the default setting. the only difference is from the ramp adjust setting which is 75.

how many runs are you guys typically seeing from the stock 1800 mah pack?

do you guys recommend breaking in the pump?

overall, impressions are good. she has great throttle response and is very smooth running. I'll have a better or different perspective once I try to fire her off with a new propane can and will let you guys know.

keep up the good work

Old 10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Buck, Just watched yur' video!

To answer your questions... I usually push 3 runs out of the stock ECU pack. It may be able to go further, but I've never tried. Recently I switched to a Duralite and I've pretty much forgotten about it...

In start-up...
If it dips below 100C, it may abort since it may thing the stove's gone out. If it goes well past 100C, then hangs at 18K-20K RPM, that's a draggy pump. If that's the case, close the ball valve, disconnect the pump and ECU pack; then plug the pump into the pack for ~0.5 sec max. That'll break it free if its clogged up and it should start fine once you reconnect everything. That's a trick I've used on many brands of pumps over the years... Since you got your pump used, its hard to tell what the condition is. If you bought another one new, I believe they're broken in in Thailand prior to shipping so you may want to circulate some fuel through it at lowish' voltage for ~10 min or so.

Kelly
Old 11-06-2005, 08:30 PM
yeahbaby

Kelly / Gregg

In order to get a smooth flameless start I'm augmenting the start sequence with a small hand held air compressor (air mattress inflater) which seems to help.

for whatever reason, she'll light off on propane no problem but after the intial spool up and light off the rpms just decay and flames are a result.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the pump (if it's a pump problem anyway) because once it completes the start cycle she runs awesome.

I'm happy with the engine and having great fun with the A10X but the initial starts are getting to be a PITA.

c'ya

buck
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Buck,

The fact that blowing air into the intake helps out, likely means the starter motor is somehow not transferring enough impulse to the compressor nut or the bendix is disengaging prior to a sustainable RPM. Your ramp setting should be fine...

Question, how may starts are listed on the engine?

Possible causes, just off the top of my head...
(1) lubrication or fuel residue on the compressor nut. If the clutch begins to slip, the bendix can disengage an its own since its designed to stay in contact while torque is being applied through its helix. If the applied torque drops off prematurely, the clutch will instantly retract. The result would be a drop in RPM and the combustion moving external with a sharp rise in EGT. This could also be caused by a worn out o-ring or potentially the motor not being fully seated in the starter bullet housing. Normally the clutch should stay engaged until 30K RPM and you should be able to hear it disengage if you listen carefully. I suppose it is also possible to see a clutch stay engaged up to 30K while slipping without retracting, although that would be a new one to me...

(2) Worn out brushes. If the starter motor's brushes are toast, the torque may be marginal and could result in the same problem as above. Normally these motors last a very long time though.

I keep most parts in stock for warrantee cases... Unfortunately, since your motor is 2nd hand warrantee isn't covered regardless of the age and start count, sorry... Once we figure out what gremlin you've got, we can sort out getting you the necessary parts but hopefully we're not chasing a component failure here.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Kelly
Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 AM
yeahbaby

Kelly

good info amigo. I'm pretty sure the clutch is disengaging at 30k, so next time I run it I'll be sure to listen for any slipping of the O-ring.

I'll double check the number of starts she's undergone and will send her in for a check up once she really gets on my nerves.

thanks again for the info. loads of good data

cheers

buck