Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

WTB: used Nelson 428 Engine

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

WTB: used Nelson 428 Engine

Old 06-13-2002, 08:17 PM
gi8u2racing
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: used Nelson 428 Engine

I am looking for a Nelson 428 engine. I want it to have fresh parts in it, but i am not trying to pay $350 for an all new engine, i dont need all that, but i want a strong engine.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:39 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nelson

Jon, By the time you spend,,, on the average $180.00 bucks for a used, good condition Nelson,,, You'll spend another $150.00 bucks for bearings, rod and piston & sleeve assembly!

For another $20.00 or so, you'll have a NIB Nelson

There are good deals out there, but you have to be at the right place at the right time to find them.

BV
Old 06-14-2002, 12:06 AM
SSAN

Default Re: WTB: used Nelson 428 Engine

Originally posted by gi8u2racing
I am looking for a Nelson 428 engine. I want it to have fresh parts in it, but i am not trying to pay $350 for an all new engine, i dont need all that, but i want a strong engine.

If you're looking for AMA 428 Quickie engine for a low price, you can get one of Dub Jett's (older design) Quickie .40 for 250.00 on his web site. But in order to get that price, it must be order on-line under Jett's Hanger Sale . Otherwise it would be 275.00 for Investment Cast or new design BSE Quickie .40 for 351.00.

If you're going to use for Sport Flying, use a McCoy #59 plug. Do not use a Nelson plug because it's more finicky. Hope this help.

Here's a link for Quickie Jett. Look for Jett's Hanger Sale and click on it.
http://jettengineering.com/

Sam S.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:10 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Used Nelson

In my opinion, there are very few "good" used Nelson engines available. Most of the New Engines are very close in performance, but the used ones tend to be a little off.

I know if I wanted to unload one of my used nelsons, I obviously wouldn't get rid of my fastest ones. Also, if I had a Used engine that I knew was a horse, I would sell it to one of my buddies.

I have a used Nelson engine with about 50 flights on it that I would be willing to sell (less than 2 years old). However, it turns about 500 less RPMs than my good ones. I have messed with the liner and head spacing, but it still just doesn't turn up like my good ones.

I have a feeling that this is the type of engine you would receive if you tried to buy a used engine. I doubt you will find the horse that you are looking for through this route.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:28 PM
R.Bridge

Default WTB: used Nelson 428 Engine

Try calling Darol, he was selling a bunch of older stuff pretty cheap. Then call Shadel and stuff a new top end in it and your ready to rock...

There is such a myth about motors, most guys like to see huge static numbers on the ground or bench (which all 3 of my Q500 motors turn well on the ground). Sometimes a motor that won't pull big ground numbers sure unloads good in the air.

Randy B.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:15 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default good reminder

Randy,

I'm really glad you said that about motors unloading in the air. I tend to get caught up in the tach numbers on the ground too. I'm running Jetts for 428 and both of my motors seem to like a bit less pitch than the Nelsons my buddies are flying. However, the airspeed is roughly equivalent and my plane seems to be just as fast as theirs are. I have to keep reminding myself (my caller helps to remind me too) that it's the airspeed that matters and not the tach on the ground.