Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Rudder throw on conventional tail?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Rudder throw on conventional tail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Shackas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder throw on conventional tail?

Hi all,

Got any advice on what would be a reasonable starting point for setting rudder throws on a conventional tailed quickie?

Dave
Old 11-30-2004, 09:49 PM
wildthing7037

Default RE: Rudder throw on conventional tail?

Ive heard 3/16 of an inch is a good place to start.

Stefan
Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 AM
diggs_74

My first racer was a dodger with a conventional tail setup and I was told to have enough rudder so that on take off full right rudder kept the plane straight. How much throw that was depends on the plane I would think.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: diggs_74

My first racer was a dodger with a conventional tail setup and I was told to have enough rudder so that on take off full right rudder kept the plane straight. How much throw that was depends on the plane I would think.
Dito,,, this will take a few times practicing the take offs to determin the right amount of throw.

BV
Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the first try, I'd go a little more than 3/16" ... call it 5/16" or 3/8" (OK, 7mm to 10mm for those in the civilized world) ... better to have a little too much and ease off as it goes down the runway than to watch helplessly as it slews left and catches a wingtip on that one tall weed. [:@]
Old 12-01-2004, 05:19 PM
diggs_74

Good point... I know my Doddger didn't have quite enough on the first flight and I just missed the pits [X(] ... A few clicks on the computer radio and it was all good.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 AM
MadScientist

Since you don't really use rudder at all while flying the course, except for landings and takeoffs, I go with as much rudder throw as I can get. if the plane is set up right, it will track straight around the course without any rudder input. I always am comfortable with more rudder than less. just how i fly
Old 12-03-2004, 11:23 AM
splatt

ORIGINAL: MadScientist

Since you don't really use rudder at all while flying the course, except for landings and takeoffs, I go with as much rudder throw as I can get. if the plane is set up right, it will track straight around the course without any rudder input. I always am comfortable with more rudder than less. just how i fly
when flying quickies, the accepted manner of take off is the the full power push. The torque of the engine will always try to pull you left.

For quickies the safe practice is to have it set up so 1/2 or 3/4 stick is the perfect amount for take-off, leaving the remainder of travel for emergency purposes. But who every has those...
Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM
diggs_74

Emergancies??? I don't know what you're talking about Quickies always do exactly as they are told, and the pusher always pushes the same every time