Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

DX7 Binding Problem

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DX7 Binding Problem

Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Rfabbre
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 Binding Problem

I am having trouble binding my DX7 to my AR 7000.

I have the binding plug in the bind socket and the battery connected through a switch to an open port. When I turned the power to the receiver on and the light blinks quickly as I expected.

Then holding the binding switched on the back of the transmitter down, I turned the DX7 on. All the lights on both the receiver and the transmitter blank and then stop blinking just as the instructions say they should.

At that point I removed the binding plug. All the controls work perfectly. When I turned the transmitter off and back on everything still worked fine.

The problem came when I turned the receiver off. When I power it backed on, the lights on, the receiver lights start blinking quickly again as if it is expecting to go through the binding process all over. So, it appears the receiver is not remembering that it has been bound.

Now for the crazy part-I have two AR 7000 receivers and both of them behave exactly the same way which seems to point to the transmitter.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Rich

Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
huck1199

Default RE: DX7 Binding Problem

Turn the TX on first, then power the RX. If you de-power the RX and then repower it without turning off the TX the RX will blink indicating that you have asignal lossfault.The blinkingis to show you that during a flight you lost sigal for some reason.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Turn the TX on first, then power the RX. If you de-power the RX and then repower it without turning off the TX the RX will blink indicating that you have a signal loss fault. The blinking is to show you that during a flight you lost sigal for some reason.
Actually its not a signal loss, its a power loss.

If you turn off the power to the reciever (whether you do it with a switch or it looses power in flight it doesn't know the difference) and the transmitter power hasn't been turned off and on, the lights will blink indicating a power failure.

What you're seeing is normal.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Rfabbre
My Feedback: (6)

That worked.  Thanx to both of you and to RCU for providing the way to solve my problem,
Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 AM
CHARLES WINTER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI, Maybe you can shed some light on this situation. A Futaba 9 Channel Tx with an add on "Hobby King" 2.4 module. It works but it takes approximately 4 to 5 seconds to Bind. My New Stock Futaba 2.4 radios (TX and RX) bind instantly. Is there something wrong with such a Slow Bind? Thanks, Col. Chuck Winter
Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both Rx and Tx have programs (firmware) that control the device's behavior. Some are faster than others. I have a DX7 Tx with a selection of AR6200 and AR7000 Rx. Some bound quickly. Some bound slowly. The Rx had different firmware "releases" - some old, some new. You can't tell by looking at the Rx. I sent mine back to the service organization (Horizon Hobby) and they upgraded the firmware on all of my Rx for free. They now all bind with similar speed.

Em, just re-read your post. You have two different products trying to work together (Futaba & Hobby King) to provide the same functionality that is normally done by a single piece of electronic hardware - one set of program code. I'll take a wild guess that the guys/gals that developed the program code for Futaba couldn't care less about the program code developed by Hobby King - it wasn't in their "program specification" - it doesn't surprise me that there would be / could be a "hand-shake" timing issue between these two products during the bind sequence.

Is your slow bind and issue? Probably not because it is a one-time event for each flight. If there is the similar "performance difference" during flight - you bet there is a potential problem. It would suggest that the servos would be lagging behind your input. How much behind? Probably not bad otherwise you would already have seen a problem.

Yea, I'm rambling - HTH