Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balancing question.... problem?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balancing question.... problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 PM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balancing question.... problem?

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

CGCINC, as some folks have previously stated, it is easier to build and use a Vanessa rig than it is to explain it. The first thing you do is consult your plans and mark the manufacturer's suggested CG on the surface of your plane. Then you load your plane into the rig. Adjust your plumb bob so that it hangs about a quarter inch above your plane. Now, before you even look at where the plumb is pointing, level the horizontal stabilizer. This is done by rotating the axle that the plane is hanging from. I use a bull's eye level but a small line level will work also. After you level the tail of the plane, check to see where the plumb bob is pointing. If it is pointing exactly at your mark, you are good to go. If not, move something around in the plane. NOW, LEVEL THE TAIL AGAIN by rotating the axle. The tail has to be level every time you check the plumb bob. If the plumb bob is closer to your mark, move something the same direction that you moved it before. Now, level the tail again. Check your plumb bob again. Repeat this process until the CG is where you want it. Remember, the plumb bob point where the CG is, not where you want it. When the two come together (the plumb bob is pointing at the mark you put on the plane before you even hung it in the sling), you are balanced. That axle (dowel) has to be tight enough that it will not rotate on its own but not so tight that you can't rotate it when you want to change the attitude of the plane. And LEVEL THE TAIL each time before you check the plumb bob.
That helps!

And "Scooterinvegas", thanks for the video
Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
A simpler,easier way is to just use your fingertips!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 PM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
A simpler,easier way is to just use your fingertips!
Well, on my little foam planes I do.... Not too worried about it being exact on them. This one is big, heavy and awkward so I doubt you could do a good job with your fingers

I actually got it to balance on the GP machine. I moved the CG to 5 3/4" and added 4ozs. the nose and it sits level on the way to nose heavy
Old 10-31-2010, 09:26 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Well I use the finger metode on all my planes ..Q-500 racers as well as my 50cc 216cm spann Yak-54.