Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Input about Sig Aerokote?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Input about Sig Aerokote?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Input about Sig Aerokote?

I'm curious about Sig Aerokote. I got a roll and I don't seem to be having much luck with it.

What has other folks experience been? Should I reduce heat? Increase it? Is it good stuff to work with or what?

I haven't seen it advertised much. Is it still available?

Thanks for any input
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Input about Sig Aerokote?

I bought a SIG ARF a bit over a year ago and due to its EXTREMELY poor consturction had to uncover it and glue it together. Also had to reglue and reinforce the wing. I then needed to buy some matching covering and called SIG. SIG said their Aerokote was really Toughlon and gave me a source in CA. I have used Monokote, but no more. I use Ultracote almost exclusively now for covering. But that Toughlon was probably the worst excuse for model film I've experienced. I wouldn't wish the stuff on my worst enemy. Well, on second thought, maybe[>:]
Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
WCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with airbusdrvr. I had the same experience with a Sig 4 Star 120 ARF covered in that stuff. Initially I had to fix a hole in the wing covering. Forget that. Aerokrap won't even stick to itself. I ended up having to uncover the wings due to lack of glue on the spars and ribs. The color (red) from the aerokrap stuck to the wood and I had to sand all that off. Terrible product.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is just re-labeled World Models Toughlon. Ilove a lot of the Wolrd Models planes but the toughlon covering is terrible. I have successfully covered with it but Ultracoat or Monokote are much better.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that input, guys. I like Monokote and Ultracote, and I think that Ultracote has a slight edge, but that's just a personal opinion.

My Herr Mini Extra is also covered in that. I crashed it and am in the process of rebuild. I'm going to pull all the covering off (it's been coming off easily) and use Monokote, only because I have a few rolls of it and need to get rid of it.

Again, thanks for the input.

Any other opinions out there???

Bob