Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ignition and Choke Switch on TX

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ignition and Choke Switch on TX

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition and Choke Switch on TX

My first gasser, will be on a Warbird; the Ignition will be turned ON/OFF by the Radio, as well as a manual switch on Plane to disconnect battery; I will have a servo operated Choke; I am using a Futaba 10C Radio.

My question is, and most Radios have Switch Placements or Locations similar to each other; what Switches(Location) on the radio should I be assigning the Igntion ON/OFF and Choke to? I suspect I have to use 2 position Switches instead of Rotaing Knob Switches or Slider Switches; your rationale for your preference would help, etc.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ignition and Choke Switch on TX

My Futaba 7C radio has a spring loaded 2 position switch on the top left corner. It is usually used as the trainer switch. On all of my previous glow planes I set that switch up to fully close the throttle barrel on the carbs as a kill, so it is what I also assigned to my kill on my gasser. I like the fact that it is the longest switch on the transmitter, and in an emergency situation it is easy for my fingers to find. I can kill the plane without panicking and hunting for the correct switch, maybe that is because where its located, or maybe it is because that is what I am used too.

Some people will tell you that you dont want it on a spring loaded switch so you can leave the ignition cut off for safety reasons while tinkering with the engine, but I do not agree with that theory. The only ignition Kill I use for safety purposes when I am working on the plane is the switch on the side of the plane. You never know when you may bump a switch on the transmitter and not realize it, but I can always see the switch and LED on the side of the plane when I am down by the engine tinkering.

I have always set up my planes with manual choke, so I dont really have a suggestion for that one. I would set the radio up just like you do for all of your other planes regarding dual rates, flaps, landing gear, and lights then see what swiches are left over and choose one of those. I like all of the switches on my transmitter to do the same thing for all of my planes so you do not have to think about it while you are flying.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Yes, I am anal as well, I like to have all my switches set up the same on all my planes, and if they don't have flaps or gear I don't use those switches, keep it all the same, no variation; I like your suggestion using the Trainer Spring Loaded switch for the Ignition Kill and since I will have a manual switch to disconnect the battery and the LED is easily seen would not be a problem.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 AM
jetmech05

I always set up my planes so that the same switch does the same thing on every plane......I also fly with a 10C.....I don't have my radio in front of me so bare with me.....My ignition kill is through an optic kill switch set up on the inboard switch on the face of the transmitter on the right side...not on the top of the transmitter but the face....my choke servo is the switch next to it on the face of the transmitter...figured if I needed to kill it in a hurry and missed one switch I'd hit the other...
But that is how I do it....you set your transmitter up to suit you....but try and set all your planes the same way....or one day you'll reach for high rates thinking you're flying plane B, and kill ignition cause you're really flying plane A
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never used the optical kill switch, I just used the Hi/Lo/Kill throttle switch on my Futaba. I had my choke set up on a knob. Twist all the way and the choke was open and twist the other way and it was closed. That was on one of my rear induction engines and the only engine I used a choke servo on. My side induction engines i set up the choke with a push pull lever.