Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Craziest thing you have done in this hobby

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Craziest thing you have done in this hobby

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
68gts
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Craziest thing you have done in this hobby

added a 3 ouce tank to a .049 free flight eindecker back in the late 80's......needless to say we found it 30 minutes later a mile and a half away in a tree lol
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The crazyest thing I did was getting in it in the first place. Now I've spent alot of money buying tools and stuff that I can't use for anything else. Wife hardly sees me any more because I spend alot of time in the shop. Wasting gas driving 30 miles for supplies and stuff for my planes. Getting bummed out because flying weather is titso. Would rather go flying than work on house. Spend too much time on computer digging for information so I can spend more time on planes. I'm building a giant mustang now and out of 6 planes 4 have yet to fly and I'm having a hard time convincing wife I need another one.[&o]

I don't suppose any of you have any of these problems? " I suppose I'm just crazy about this hobby".[8D]
Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not exactly crazy, but crazy lucky.

I took 2 weeks off in August, including the date of my wedding anniversary, to spend it in the middle of Texas working on the restoration of a Goodyear built Corsair that I am modelling. The coolest day was 107.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Oberst
Banned

The first year in this hobby I had a 3 channel electric Wing Dragon trainer. One morning I showed up to the field and it was very foggy with low clouds. I had a fun time seeing my plane at times, and when I landed my plane was soaking wet with dew.

The owner of the private club thought I was crazy and told me as such when I was done flying. It was a big field and no one else was at the field when I did this stunt, so if anything went wrong all what would be lost would have been my airplane and pride.

I think the second crazy thing I did was maiden a rebuilt and modified GP Fokker Dr1 on a very, very windy day. I was lucky I got it down in one piece! [X(]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZqoy_uMnc[/youtube]

Pete
Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Captain Terrific

When I was stationed in Japan my friends daughter had a hamster. She wanted us to take it up for a flight. So, we put the little critter in my Goldberg Tiger 60 and took it up. We were laughing so hard on the flight line that I had to land it after just a couple of passes. The little guy wasn't even phased. He started crapping only when we were removing him. I think he wanted to take another flight.

Oh boy, don't let PETA get wind of this. LOL! No joke they will come after you. [X(]

Pete
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Tarasdad

Back in late 1987 I was building my first RC plane, a Carl Goldberg Eagle 63. One of the steps called for cutting a servo mount for the aileron servo from scrap ply. In my infinite wisdom I decided to hold that piece of scrap in my left hand, then pick up my Dremel tool with the 1-1/4" steel as blade to make the cut. Well, sir, cut it did. Darn near sliced my left thumb off when the blade bound up for a split second at 30,000 RPM. Spent the next four hours in the ER while the doctor sewed everything back up followed by four weeks with my hand in a custom splint. Fortunately it was mostly just soft tissue damage to the muscle at the base of my thumb, although I did clip a tendon but didn't totally sever it.

Lesson learned - the hard, painful way.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

Back in late 1987 I was building my first RC plane, a Carl Goldberg Eagle 63. One of the steps called for cutting a servo mount for the aileron servo from scrap ply. In my infinite wisdom I decided to hold that piece of scrap in my left hand, then pick up my Dremel tool with the 1-1/4'' steel as blade to make the cut. Well, sir, cut it did. Darn near sliced my left thumb off when the blade bound up for a split second at 30,000 RPM. Spent the next four hours in the ER while the doctor sewed everything back up followed by four weeks with my hand in a custom splint. Fortunately it was mostly just soft tissue damage to the muscle at the base of my thumb, although I did clip a tendon but didn't totally sever it.

Lesson learned - the hard, painful way.

Ewww! That made me cringe after reading that. My issue is with x-acto blades, but we won't go there.

Pete
Old 12-30-2011, 08:04 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I once had the tip of a scalpel blade ping off ... just a little piece, about 2 mm long. It stuck in my eyeball; the white bit. That was a lot of fun. Didn't need hospital, though, just someone with a steady hand and tweezers.

But, this is as nothing compared to this guy; it's time that his picture re-surfaced, I think. This is the alleged result of a carelessness in proximity to a spinning prop.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

trying to drill a hole for the spare tire on my rc trailer forgot the spray paint for the airfeild was up againts the wall hit the can with the hot bit fire came out like a blow touch [X(][:@]
Old 12-30-2011, 11:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, let's not post any more graphic images.

The thread is about "crazy" things as in, "Wild and Crazy" not "Careless and Harmful"

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My latest: flying with my antenna out. I crashed my beloved Escapade. (snif)

Some of you 2.4 guys probably don't know what antenna means. My instructor thought me about the CAT before taking off: controls, antenna and traffic. After a year of flying, I got confident and forgot my CAT.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

Some of you 2.4 guys probably don't know what antenna means. My instructor thought me about the CAT before taking off: controls, antenna and traffic. After a year of flying, I got confident and forgot my CAT.

That hurts but this is a great thread. To bad that admin is so quick. can I get a PM to those picture links
Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Tarasdad

Well, I did try to maiden a BUSA Stick .40 with my transmitter antenna down. Didn't get too far. Fortunately it ignored my elevator inputs and plowed into the tall grass/weeds at the end of the runway. No damage except to my pride.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

Some of you 2.4 guys probably don't know what antenna means. My instructor thought me about the CAT before taking off: controls, antenna and traffic. After a year of flying, I got confident and forgot my CAT.

I don't use 2.4, so I know what you mean. I got in the habit of remembering to pull the antenna out many years ago, I do it without much thought now.

Pete
Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

I flew a sweet stik 40 with the wing patched with tape on an extremly windy day
Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 PM
1320Fastback

Lots of great experiences here guys. Sounds like we all have had some fun times in RC.

My "crazy" thing I did was maiden a glider with a GoPro HD camera on it at the Grand Canyon.
Talk about nervous, on the edge of verticle cliff straight down for who knows how far.
One last control check and then..... Let her go.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

Lots of great experiences here guys. Sounds like we all have had some fun times in RC.

My ''crazy'' thing I did was maiden a glider with a GoPro HD camera on it at the Grand Canyon.
Talk about nervous, on the edge of verticle cliff straight down for who knows how far.
One last control check and then..... Let her go.

Hardcore Man! [8D]

I bet you caught some major thermals?

Pete
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: WaffleMan

I flew a sweet stik 40 with the wing patched with tape on an extremly windy day
That's nothin', at least half of my planes have a taped hole somewhere
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
jkr_1100

Any updates. I put a saito 150S on a Carl Goldburg Tiger 60. It flys great. the crowds love it. I was flying students on it with the buddy box.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH DEAR WHERE TO START

Flying single channel RC in the early 60s with only 100 yards air range. You ONLY flew upwind of the large ground based transmitter and you limited the engine run.

Trimmed my 049 powered Mcutcheon flying machine to sit in ground effect at about 9 inches altitude and launched it at the evening upwind of the ff session at the British Nationals.

Built a 61 powered version of a Mcutcheon flying machine using an old 12 foot glider wing [ the club did not let me fly it untill I put RC on the throttle.]

Built a catapult version of a EE Lightning using a broomstick and 1/4 ply for the wings. Launched with three strands of 1/4 sq catapult elastic pulled back to breaking point. It disappeared on launch made a large loop and we heard the impact . It required a spade to recover it.

Drove from the UK through Holland Belgium Germany Denmark Sweden and Finland to the 1966 World CL champs to do a CL Combat demonstration.

Flew an RC model at night with only a red light on one wing tip and a green light on the other.

Was a participant in a ZAGI combat session 22 flyers lined up on a hill side with 22 Zagis. Marks for hits and kills

But the craziest, well stupidest thing I personally did was flying a Morris Hobbies 3D Sledge over an indoor swimming pool, launching it by holding it vertically and picking it out of the air by hand from the prop hang at the end of the flight.

Mind you I was on the edge of the world record attempt be a fellow club member who was into building his own Jet engines. He acquired a small but full size jet engine and borrowed his mother in laws wheel chair. The rest is history. Go Giuseppe Cannella Go. Now that WAS CRAZY. For the non believers see [link=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/3611660.stm]CLICKY[/link]
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You win.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 PM
jkr_1100

Thank you who has another one?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
jetmech05

I often risk a 2000 dollar + machine by putting it up in the air...