Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

DLE 20 - tuning

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DLE 20 - tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DLE 20 - tuning

I've got the DLE 20 in my Pulse 125 turning a 16 x 8 Xoar prop. I've got some numbers but I think they're a little low, so I'd appreciate a second (third, fourth etc) opinion:

RPM @ WOT: ~7500
Static thrust: 11.75 lbs

Here's a clip of the throttle response.

The first time I started the plane it stuttered when the throttle was opened and sometimes quit at full throttle. Per the DLE manual I opened up the High adjustment screw on the carb about 1/8 turn and it improved. If I open it too much further it starts to miss, which I assume means too rich.

So, the questions.

1. The manual specifies 2.5 HP @ 9000 RPM. I am running a recommended prop size. Should I expect 9000 RPM?
2. I've seen other reports of the static thrust at 13-14 lbs... is 11.75 low enough to cause concern?
3. I've backed off the idle to about 2000 RPM, but it's pretty shaky at that setting. Is this a good idle speed?

Cheers!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20 - tuning

If you go into the gas engine forum there are pages and pages on the DLE 20. I have tuned a couple of them for friends at the field but never bothered doing any prop testing or static thrust testing with one. The one thing I have learned with all the DLE engines it toss the spark plug that came with the engine and install an NGK CM-6. That no name thing from China is about useless and creats a lot of problems.