Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Slowing Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Slowing Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowing Retracts

I had posted this question before in regards to slowing the extension and retraction of my Pnuematic retracts, got some great info and I was successful to a certain degree by using airline retrictors and adjusting the valve to slow the retracts down; a quick question, right now I use a Hitec Digital servo to pull open and close the Robarts Red adjustable Retract valve; the servo does this qucikly, since this is a Hitec Digital Servo and I have a Hitec Digital Servo programmer, if I programmed the servo to operate as slow as possible, do you think this would slow the operation of the retracts even more, which is what I am trying to do?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Slowing Retracts

will have just about no affect,, it will just slow when the air begins to enter the line,, not the air pressure itself
Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 AM
bhouin
My Feedback: (106)

Agreed. On air retracts changing the speed of the servo will have no effect on the speed of the retract cycle. You will need either air line restricters or an adjustable retract valve.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like using 1/8 inch wheel collars to adjust the air flow going out to the gears. You can adjust it to the exact rate you want them to move and you can even adjust them so you have a staggered retract up or down. Just a thought and Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks for the replys, wasn't sure if someone else had tried this or not, got the idea when I was watering some plants the other day and I only wanted a slow flow of water and to do this I opened the valve up slowly; so I thought! what if the retract servo opened up slower? anyways, the more I thought about it, I figured slowing the servo down wouldn't do it afterall, because its the same amount of air pressure weather you open the valve fast or slow; saves me undoing a bunch of stuff to program the servo, as I mentioned my set up seems to be working just fine, I may try the wheel collars on the lines going to the tail wheel gear because they still slam up and down.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:03 PM
YAT-28E

I used a line restrictor, i think its a .010 hole to really slow it down