Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine mount problem

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine mount problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine mount problem

I have an H9 Sundowner 50. I am trying to install an OS65AX on it, but the mount provided is a little too small.
The mount is plastic and has 2 triangle panels to provide support on top and on the bottom.
Would it be a problem to clip part of the top portion of that plastic support without the risk of extra vibration?
If not, then I would have to get another mount and drill the firewall, which is what I am trying to avoid because I am not very handy.

Thanks,

Harry
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine mount problem

Hi!
Most of the time when a engine mount is too small you file it larger! Any pictures?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM
markhamregular

Here's a picturefrom a review online.
You can see the triangular supports that wouldneed to be clipped to make the 65 sit properly.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
markhamregular

Picture
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

Would it be a problem to clip part of the top portion of that plastic support without the risk of extra vibration?

Harry

No Harry removing the top side portion of those 45 degree flanges on that particular mount is absolutely no problem or issue and have done so many times.

By the way that .65AX is a superb engine and you will love it even more as you progress.

John
Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Removing a little of the triangular brace will not hurt anything...Try not to remove any more than you need to...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, If you have to make two saw cuts (on each beam), one horizontal one vertical that intersect, don't just cut untill the two saw cuts meet. This will create a weak spot as the cuts will most likely over lap each other a little. Instead drill a hole (3/8"-1/4") where the intersection will be and carefully saw each cut to the hole leaving a nice rounded transition from each angle. File and sand smooth the area where the saw cuts were made and you will have a strong professional looking modification to your motor mount. If you don' have to remove enough material to need saw cuts, then just file the area with a half round or rat tail file, and sand smooth.