Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Iron bay regulator vs Cline Regulator

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Iron bay regulator vs Cline Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:50 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron bay regulator vs Cline Regulator

I've been an advocate of the Cline, but recently I've heard people mention a new player in the fuel regulation area. The company is called Ironbay and they are out of Wheeling WV. Their regulators are about $25 cheaper than the cline and I'd like to hear from those of you that have used them. How are the quality? They look really nice so I'm considering it for my next project. Jim Cline provides great service so I have to take that into consideration, but I've also got to consider the issue of "Wallet Strain" Anyway have firsthand experience with the Iron-Bay regulator?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:26 AM
coomarlin

Default RE: Iron bay regulator vs Cline Regulator

Anyone?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:53 AM
RCJones

I'm hoping you get an answer too.

Any relation to CooCoo Marlin?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:04 PM
coomarlin

ORIGINAL: RCJones

Any relation to CooCoo Marlin?
No relation, but that is where the moniker is arrived from
Old 09-19-2003, 07:09 PM
rcalfred

I just bought two Iron Bay regulators for a twin scale model I'm building. Service was great--even though I had to wait because they had sold out their initial run of 200. Haven't had a chance to use them yet but they are well made and appear a lot more "finished" than the Clines I've seen. All metal construction and anodized and engraved. Was told about them by friends in my club that bought some at Toledo. Regards.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Ground Zero
My Feedback: (6)

I recently picked up a few of the Iron Bay regulators to compare with the Clines. The hurricane has sidetracked me for the past week, but this weekend or next week I am going to run them both on a Saito 180 and see if there is a difference. Cline says the regulator needs to be within 1.5!QUOT! of the needle, where the Iron Bay regulator can be further away than that. This is what interested me. It can be a real pain to get it that close to the needle. The construction on the Iron Bay is much sturdier with better fittings. A good bench test is just around the corner.

Mike
Old 09-23-2003, 06:38 AM
coomarlin

ORIGINAL: Ground Zero

I recently picked up a few of the Iron Bay regulators to compare with the Clines. The hurricane has sidetracked me for the past week, but this weekend or next week I am going to run them both on a Saito 180 and see if there is a difference. Cline says the regulator needs to be within 1.5!QUOT! of the needle, where the Iron Bay regulator can be further away than that. This is what interested me. It can be a real pain to get it that close to the needle. The construction on the Iron Bay is much sturdier with better fittings. A good bench test is just around the corner.

Mike
Cool. Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Update, I threw away that Iron Bay piece of Sh*t and installed a Cline. I put five flights on the plane today with the Cline and it worked flawless. Idle, transition and full throttle were all great. The engine didn't go lean when vertical and I was able to move the tank back to the CG where it belongs. Its nice when something works as advertised, just hook it up adjust the needle and go.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:44 PM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used both the Cline and Ironbay regulators. Plus for the Ironbay is that it can be farther away from the needle. I have found both to have problems after letting them set after use. Seems the alcohol evaporates and leaves the oil to clog the device. also nitro attacks the one way valves and should be replaced as needed. Ironbay will replace theirs for free. I don't know about Clines. He probably does to. They both do the job. Also I would recommend using the pressure tap off the engine rather the muffler pressure on the Ironbay unit. Cline only recommends using crank pressure on two strokes. Make sure if you let them set after use to run some fuel through them to remove the oil residue.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:58 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

[:@]What is with Bike466's reply??? [sm=punching.gif] If there was a problem with the IronBay version tell us what that problem was. Makes no sense saying something is "carp" without saying why!!??[X(]
Old 03-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Swat Cop

[X(]You are absoulutely right, I thought I had already posted in this thread but it was the wrong one. Here is my origional two posts from the other thread.

POST 1

I have an Iron Bay Regulator I tried on a Moki 2.10 mounted close to the carb (1" away), check valve where it is supposed to be, running off crank case pressure. The system holds pressure well but I think the Iron Bay regulator is too restrictive, the needle and idle disc have no effect on mixture. My engine surges, transitions poorly and dies at full throttle. basically it just runs like sheit overall.

I removed the regulator and moved the fuel tank back up to the nose against the firewall and have just resigned myself to the fact that I will have to live with the fuel tank in the nose. The Iron Bay Regulator may work ok on smaller engines but I think large glow engines are just too much for it. When I ordered my Iron Bay Regulator I asked the guy on the phone if he thought it would be ok on a Moki 2.10, he said he thought it would but he didn't sound convincing.

I tried a Perry Pump and that was a little better but no matter how I adjusted the Perry Pump the plane (DP Edge 540) would take off rich and go lean half way through the flight. I think its time for a BME 50.

POST 2

Yes, the problem is the Iron Bay Regulator is not capable of supplying enough fuel volume at full throttle. The regulator acts as a restrictor. I also believe the valve is too stiff at idle, it seems to take a lot of vacume to open the valve let some fuel in, it then closes again until the engine leans out then lets another burst of fuel in causing the engine to surge at idle and starves for fuel at the top end. My Moki runs great without the regulator and the fuel tank mounted up behind the fire wall. Pleantly of power, just nose heavy the first half of the flight.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:31 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bike466, thanks for the heads up !
Old 03-14-2004, 07:51 PM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike466, did you call Ironbay and tell them your experience? Did they offer you a refund? or did you just decide to bash them in the forum? I always give a manufacture a chance to right the wrong before I condemn them. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Swat Cop

Just decided to bash them. I did not say the Iron Bay regulator would not work for any application just not mine, although if you read the many threads on this regualtor it seems I am not the only one who had problems. The Cline on the other hand works as advertised. Just my experience.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Got very tired of a flooded engine on my U-Can Do 46. As most of you know they have a tank located well above the inverted engines carb. I placed an Ironbay on mine and with a 91 FS the problem was solved totally. The engine now runs like it is upright and a pleasure to deal with.
I think the problem mentioned has more to due with the engine size, a Moki 2+ is twice as large as a 91, go figure?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Navy7603

Does anybody know if IRONBAY is still in business? They dropped out of sight on the 1st of April 04 and their website no longer exists. Did they sell to somebody else?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:04 PM
rajul

Maybe the website is down for maintenance or upgrading ?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 AM
rcalfred

The server may have some problems. Also, the staff is probably on its way to Toledo for the big show. I would doubt that they have gone out of business. Regards.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:29 PM
waynes

I have an order open with them and had not received it for several weeks..

I did find their phone number on yellowpages.com and called them (304-232-7511) and they are apparently still in business...

Wayne
Old 04-02-2004, 07:20 PM
rajul

ORIGINAL: waynes

I have an order open with them and had not received it for several weeks..

I did find their phone number on yellowpages.com and called them (304-232-7511) and they are apparently still in business...

Wayne
Wayne, what was IB's explanation for the delay ?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 PM
wowie

Can anyone list Ironbays email address? I've tried to search for it and have had no luck at all. Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Lovitlots

Hey there.
I was just on the Iron Bay website and it's working just fine. They talk about the problem about some engines may not be compatible with the regulator but it was due to the cu. in. of the engine. The size range they say is okay for the regulator is from .10 cu in to 4. something cu in. The ad states that some engines come with a larger than average air intake on the carb and they cannot create enough suction to draw enough fuel, hence the lean runs at full throttle. The Moki 2.1 might just be in this category. I have plans to use the regulator on a Supertiger 3250. I hope the carb isn't an oversize one.

Lovitlots