Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Snap Ring Pliers

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Snap Ring Pliers

Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 AM
mrsand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snap Ring Pliers

Hello All

I think I am now in the right forum to ask....can someone recommend one or two pliers for removing/installing those little snap rings on RC electric motor shafts? Thanks for any advice

regards

mrsand
Old 07-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an old set of snap ring pliers, the set has several sizes. Had them for years, I think I got them from NAPA Auto but I could have ordered them from Snap On? Most the time I just use a small screw driver to pull them off. If you go into the glow engine forum and OS support you can ask Bill Baxter if someone has a special set.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:51 PM
mrsand

ok thanks Gray
Old 07-05-2015, 04:17 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
I have an old set of snap ring pliers, the set has several sizes. Had them for years, I think I got them from NAPA Auto but I could have ordered them from Snap On? Most the time I just use a small screw driver to pull them off. If you go into the glow engine forum and OS support you can ask Bill Baxter if someone has a special set.
Rite on G/B except when they pop of what ever the tool you using, then there are some strange noise's in my shop
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Gray Beard

I have a lot of extra snap rings from parts engines but I have never had a snap ring go zinging off into the void. However those itty bitty beveled valve keepers on the YS engines are another story. I had a clear plastic box with arm holes cut in it just for doing valve jobs. Then I found some really big baggies that are easier to use. The hardest thing to locate was a little chrome check ball from a Walbro carb. I always clean my shop and floor when doing this type of work but even then it's a head on the floor looking for these parts. The second the part takes off I freeze and listen.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:16 PM
rt3232

G/B you are rite on the largr freezer bags have worked great for me, and thank god for good magnets.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Harbor freight has them.
http://www.harborfreight.com/snap-ri...eads-3316.html
Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 AM
red head

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had some luck locating parts gone wild by using a bright flashlight and just moving it from side to side almost FLAT on the floor. Even at that I still hear weird noises now and then when I vacuum . lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Gray Beard

I have a road trip coming in the near future and HF is stop number one. I will look at those pliers. I still have a pair that I got in the 70s that you screw different tips into, really crappy pliers but they sometimes work on those really small rings where you can't get into them. I like the idea of changing the head instead of having several pliers in the tool box.
My shop is so small and cluttered even when I vacuum the floor small parts may never make it there. I do use the flash light and magnet trick, amazing how many other lost items I find that way.
Food for thought, why is it a friend or neighbor will only show up to BS when your on your hands and knees looking for that little part that shot off into that void??
Old 07-06-2015, 12:14 PM
rt3232

or the phone rings and the better half is asking you to do something.

Cheers bob T