Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:46 AM
Chuckc21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos?

HI all! I am purchasing a ready to fly Jtec Radiowave Panzl S-330 35%. It is ready to fly, and the guy has flown it several times. My question is reference to the servos he has in the plane. He has Hitec 5645MG servos in the plane. 2 in each wing half for the ailerons, and each elevator half has its own servo. The rudder has Hitec 5955 on it. The instructions on the plane recommend 5955 if you go with Hitec. The 5645's put out around 160oz, so first question is.....with the ailerons having 2 servos per aileron would that be a combined 320oz of torque per aileron? Second question is can I fly the plane with the 5645's? I am not flying 3D with this plane, I will be flying IMAC with this plane so the control throws will be soft. I understand that the book recommends 5955's but If the ailerons have a total torque of 320oz from the 2 5645's in each wing half, I cant see them needing any more than that. The elevators only have one per elevator half, so each elevator half will get the 160oz of torque. I am knew to the giant scale plane thing, so be easy. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:25 AM
jetmech05

If the guy has flown it several times I'd say it's good to go. Yes you add the torque to get total.
On your ailerons you'd have 160 oz in out put from each servo.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:36 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 35% Carden Extra has only 1 DS8411 per aileron and per elevator half and flies IMAC with no issues. WIth 2 servos per aileron, you should be more than fine.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:24 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Depending on the linkage setup you should be fine power wise. How long are the servo arms and control horns? With the 5645 output I would have no worse then 1:1.5 ratio between the two. Personally I found that the 5645 servos did not center all that well. The 5955 were much better and have now been replaced with the 7955. I think you are OK on power but after flying a few times if you find yourself chasing trims then you may want to upgrade. No need to do all at once, you could do elevators first and then ailerons later.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Chuckc21

Thanks every body. I also have another question reference a different plane that I am putting together also for IMAC. It is an Aeroworks Extra 260 75cc. I may start a new thread on this to get more response, but I will post it here as well. Can I be competitive in the sportsman class with a 75cc size plane? I am in basic this year and am flying the Aeroworks 90-120 Yak, with a 73 inch wing span and a os 160 glow, and I have done well with it this year placing second in one of the contest I flew at, but know I need bigger for upper classes, but is 75cc big enough? It has a 96 inch wing span I believe and is a fairly large plane, considering that most 100cc planes I see have 104 inch wing spans, that is only 7 inches difference. I flew a 100cc in my last contest and won that contest so there is no doubt I can see the benefits of a bigger plane. It will be a long time before I can go any bigger than 33-35% and my 75cc is a 33% plane. Again be easy on me and thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:24 PM
jetmech05

You need to have enough power to weight ratio for the up lines plus a bit for spare.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At one point in time a 73 inch plane was just fine for IMAC, I still fly my 68 inch Extra that was an IMAC plane years ago. A couple things happened, first, all the judges went blind and can no longer see anything smaller then a 40% planes, no laughing, this is truth. The second thing was pilots discovered the bigger planes were much smoother and they could score better with them.
The advent of much stronger and faster servos and better electronics also allowed pilots to remove all the added servos required to make the controls go Flippy Flop. How well the plane is set up is now key to how well it will perform.
A Question for Shawn: Have you tested any of the new high torque Chinese servos to see how well they perform?? Not doing any competition flying I see no need to be buying the high end servos these days but as a sport pilot in need of new servos I'm tempted to give those cheap digital servos a try. Wondering how they really perform??
Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Chuckc21

I understand that plane set up is a big part of it, most of it actually...However I have spent along time on setting up my plane. I used the Peter Goldsmith list for trimming an airplane. I followed it to the T, and did everything it said to do. What I ended up with is a plane that flies better than any other plane I have owned. Beautiful up lines, and down lines, tracks like its on rails, the only thing I have to do is fly the maneuvers, the plane takes care of the rest because it flies that well. Yet I am still getting bet by the 35% and 40% planes. The contest I won was with a 35% plane that was loaned to me for that contest. Now I did place second in a contest with my plane, and every plane there was bigger than mine. I am new to IMAC and enjoy it very much, just wondered if a 33% would be sufficient enough. With my 73 inch plane the wind makes things difficult. I practice in the wind, and can keep the plane straight in the wind, but it is difficult, and it seems that the bigger planes handle it with ease.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:50 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Chuck, one year just to,prove a point I flew a 50cc airplane in unlimited and did fairly well. For sportsman your 75cc airplane will do just fine. The fact that you see the need to get the airplane trimmed correctly and then put in the time practicing already gives you some advantage. Usually it's not until guys hit intermediate do they realize that man handling the airplane through the sequences just isn't going to cut it.

Gene, I have not bothered with any of the budget servos. I have tried some of the Savox servos with good results and some of the lower priced JR sport digitals and have been happy.