Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spring Maintenance

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spring Maintenance

Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM
djmp69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Maintenance

Hey Everybody,

Got a G62, magneto version with spring start. Never had one of these before, and I've been advised that I should grease the spring at least a few time a season. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a video or link for a tutorial, guide, something that will walk me through maintenance of the spring starter. I know many people have a preference for Electronic Ignition (I'm one of them), but the plane has this engine on it, and I have no intention of replacing it with another engine. Really I'm just

wondering if there is any specific grease I should use?

Are there are any quirks or anything to look out for when prepping for greasing the spring?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I'm not sure grease helps. I've had many, some I've greased, some not. Doesn't seem to make a difference. They all break eventually. You can email B & B Specialties and ask them, they sell the spring kits. BTW, I actually prefer the mag engines. Very easy maintenance. No second battery or IE module. They just run.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About once a year or whenever the engine was off I would wipe some grease onto the spring, just sort of squish it into the spring. I don't know if it really dose anything or not. It's suppose to keep the spring steel from rubbing/friction when you wind it. The spring starter works great though. I too like mag systems, my old Zinoah engines were all mag but any of my newer engines have electronic. Other then a bit smoother idle I don't see a lot of difference. Weight used to be an argument but the ignition, battery and switch make them close enough in weight to not make a big difference.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 AM
beepee

+1 on mag engines and +1 on Gray Beard's recommendations. I will add though, while you are at it, put a drop of oil into the one-way clutch mechanism.

Bedford
Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ben flying Zenoahs since the early 80s and have never greased the spring but I do grease the sprag clutch (one way bearing). Never had a spring break but have seen the dry bearings seize up on other peoples engines. I watch people overwind the spring when starting their engines, the original instructions listed 1/2 turn of the prop. Maybe the broken springs are from over winding.