Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

in need of muffler

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

in need of muffler

Old 10-24-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of muffler

hello all, I need a muffler to fit my os .46 ax. The original has a bad crack in it. I am looking for a stock p. box muffler , a bisson muffler or one of those tower hobbies mufflers that tower is out of stock on. Its going in a Phoenix .46 size edge 540 I just built. Any one have a muffler they will part with?
Tks....Dave
Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

If you don't mind a little more noise and a nice power boost, try a Dub Jett Jettstream muffler? http://www.dubjett.com/mufflers2015.html
Old 10-25-2016, 07:55 AM

Yea i looked at those, look pretty good. I dont mind the noise or the xtra power on the jet but i do mind the cost. Little pricy. But thanks for the reply....Dave
Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Pricey, yes... A little bit. But the value is high also. I have several and find them to work far better than any stock muffler and certainly better than any Pitts muffler.

I hope you find a muffler that fits your needs.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Dosent sound like you think to much of the pitts muffler. From what i have read on the subject it sounds like that tower muffler that they will never have in stock again is a pretty good deal for the money. I guess they discontinued the ax muffler all together. I saw one on ebay in austrailla for $85. To the aussies i say ", yea, right". But thanks any way.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:23 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe an ASP/Magnum motor has the same bolt pattern? If the old one is broken, it could maybe be made into a mousse can muffler, or get a header, and pipe, You could get or make a tongue muffler too with a power or quiet loss.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:13 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by 3357
Dosent sound like you think to much of the pitts muffler. From what i have read on the subject it sounds like that tower muffler that they will never have in stock again is a pretty good deal for the money. I guess they discontinued the ax muffler all together. I saw one on ebay in austrailla for $85. To the aussies i say ", yea, right". But thanks any way.
Those Pitts mufflers suck power and cause nothing but problems with lack of fuel tank pressure and noise. I'd rather spend the $60 on a Jett muffler (tuned about 1k rpm higher than the Tower muffler that was sold with the GMS and Tower engines) that has a bit more latitude for prop choices. Full tuned pipes can be peaky on certain engines and they're expensive... I would consider the tuned muffler before the stock muffler but above the Pitts by a mile and a half.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:37 PM

Yes i totally agree. If i was able to i would go have a tuned pipe made custom by a nasa rocket scientest. But at this time my pockets are not deep. In fact they have holes in them. I just thought maybe someone might have an extra muffler laying around that i coukd get a good deal on. Actually, i jb welded the crack on my muffler and so far it seems to be holding ok. For now anyway. I will just keep my ear to the wind and sooner or later something will come along.. i do appreciate your responses and intrest in my project. Would be great to have an unlimited budget though. Thanks....Dave
Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 AM
aspeed

http://www.spadtothebone.org/Mufflers/index.html Just for more ideas. If the crack is in the wrong spot this mousse can idea is no good. If you need mostly the tailpiece, then it is great. You get more power too. Mousse cans can be get at most dollar stores. You must be a rich guy to be using brand name JB Weld!!! If it is not structural, it will likely be fine.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I by no means have an unlimited budget. I often have to sell hobby stuff to get more hobby stuff. I do however see the value in things - not to say cheap options have no value because I'm not saying that at all. The dollar is what you spend, the value is what you get. In a my of cases, the aftermarket stuff is a better value than the OEM stuff - especially if you're talking OEM OS stuff.

FWIW, there are several .46 sized mufflers on eBay for $20-25 plus shipping. One is an OS 744 for $20.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:45 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a brand new OS "powerbox" on RCGroups classifieds for $25 shipped. That was a lucky deal, but if you aren't in a hurry, between RCU, RCG and ebay you will find something reasonable. Any muffler with a 37 mm bolt spacing will work and there are lots of them online. Don't forget Macs one piece mufflers. Jim
Old 10-26-2016, 06:47 PM
aspeed

Swap meets too. I just picked up a few motors for $5 each. Two had mufflers, one with a broken needle valve. They are a good social thing too.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Pylonracr

1QWK beat me to it. Do Not waste the money on a pitts muffler. You will hate it because it will run like crap. They all do. The Jett is the best. Period. That being said, I seem to remember a Blue Jett muffler for sale at Hangar 9? Dub never made a blue one (His are color coded to rpm), but this one was a true Jett for around $45. Look around. Scrounge for used, buy a junk engine with a decent muffler. If I had one the correct size I would send it to you. Good luck.

Scott
Old 10-26-2016, 10:11 PM

Ok , you guys got me on this "mouse can" muffler thing. What is a mouse can and how do you use it as a muffler on an rc airplane? I guess i dont get out enough.
By the way the crack is in the front of the muffler. Hit a light pole with my sky raider. Of coarse i would like more power in a muffler but right now i cant spend much money on one. (I just bought the new edge) I dont want to lose power either. Although that ax is one great engine. I had unlimited vertical with the sky raider. Yea buzzard you got a good deal on ebay for that power box. I saw one on ebay the other day like i said on my post but it was $85. Hell you can get the whole motor for what $150?
I think i can use my patched up muffler for now. Its not gonna win the good housekeeping seal of approval for cosmetic beauty but its in a cowl any way. Im sure if i keep shaking the trees sooner or later a power box muffler will fall fall down. I actually have 2 46 axs . The other one i got from a friend and it had no muffler on it. I found a muffler to fit it but man it sure dosent have the power my other one has, Maybe because of the muffler or maybe its just wore out but there is a dramatic difference between the two.
Hopefully i am going to take the new edge on the maiden flight this weekend. Wish me luck!
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. Mucho appreciated .
P.S. I still want to know what a mouse can is. Tks...Dave

Last edited by 3357; 10-26-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:34 PM
aspeed

Check out at a Dollar Tree for the shaving creams. There are some aluminum cans that have no seam in the bottom. Maybe 2 oz. or so. You take them apart from the top and assemble them like that article shows. Sometimes they give more power than open exhaust, which is more than most mufflers. You can open up the exhaust hole a bit on some of the older smaller mufflers if you need a bit more performance. If your idle is bad, maybe it is not something to do, as a bit of backpressure is a good thing.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 PM

Ahh, its mousse not mouse. Tkanks for letting me know about tge mousse can.
Dave
Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Unless you already have a tuned pipe header, mousse can mufflers are spendy because the header itself is around $30 new. I tried one on an ST S29, but didn't see any power gains over open exhaust. The can was about 8X the displacement of the engine though - I think it's recommended to use a can of 10-12X engine displacement.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:24 AM
aspeed

Was it still better than a muffler? It usually is, or can be with some length adjustment. If you care anyway. I got a bunch of cans, some are even empty, but I have not made any up yet. I have a whole drawer full of pipes to use up first. Usually they are $10 at swap meets, and I tend to go to a lot of those.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by aspeed
Was it still better than a muffler? It usually is, or can be with some length adjustment. If you care anyway. I got a bunch of cans, some are even empty, but I have not made any up yet. I have a whole drawer full of pipes to use up first. Usually they are $10 at swap meets, and I tend to go to a lot of those.
The muffler that came with the S29 is literally the same size muffler that came with the X11. It is about 1/3 the volume of a typical .25 sized muffler. I have not used it yet. If anything, it probably ran the same that the muffler would allow - about 3,000rpm short of the open exhaust reading. I normally use a full tuned pipe on my S29 that gives about 16,400 on a 9x5 APC and 5% nitro.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM
buzzard bait

Yeah, that ST muffler is worthless on that engine. I use an OS 25 FP/LA muffler on my S29, which does much better than the ST, though it certainly doesn't give the performance of your pipe.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:58 PM
aspeed

i find that I run my Twist with the .46 AX at half throttle all the time. Any muffler is fine, but if you want the performance back, you can open up the outlet a bit or even take it bigger than the OD of tailpiece/stinger if there is no noise rules at your club. You will lose tank pressure though so throttling may suffer if you have a larger carb. Our control line stunt planes were drilled out quite often, no throttle there. That was when mufflers were a new thing, and robbed a lot of power.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:05 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Look at the Macs mufflers. Around $35 IIRC, and lighter than the stock mufflers. They are a bit noisier and don't add power, but they don't hurt it either. I'll also have a look through my stuff. I may have an OS muffler which I'd sell if I do.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:04 AM
aspeed

Unfortunately, John at Macs Mufflers has passed away suddenly. It may be a while before it gets going again, (if it does?) There is a lot of used stuff around though. The site does have a lot of info about center to center distance, and bolt on or bolt through.

Last edited by aspeed; 10-31-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:47 PM
got2retire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Idea what engines (OS, or others) might fit? I know I don't have that particular engine, however I've got a collection of older 2 strokers with mufflers. Maybe iv'e got something that might work..

Got2retire ( actually did)
Old 11-12-2016, 10:30 PM

Thanks everybody, i found a muffler.