Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cutting G10?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Cutting G10?

What is the best way to cut this stuff. I used a Dremel wheel and it kicks up a lot of dust, and if you need a small cut, it wont work, also tried my bandsaw which cut it pretty good, but I think it will wear the blade quickly.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use G-10 for building boomerangs and I've cut quite a bit of it. First of all, wear a good respirator. That dust is extremely bad for you!

A band saw does work well but yes, it will destroy your blade. Actually, it'll grind the teeth completely off the blade. I've heard of using carbide tipped blades but they're expensive. I had some old blades and I'd use them until the teeth were gone.

Dave
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is G10 and what is it used for?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by dbacque
I used to use G-10 for building boomerangs and I've cut quite a bit of it. First of all, wear a good respirator. That dust is extremely bad for you!

A band saw does work well but yes, it will destroy your blade. Actually, it'll grind the teeth completely off the blade. I've heard of using carbide tipped blades but they're expensive. I had some old blades and I'd use them until the teeth were gone.

Dave

That what I thought, better get another blade for my saw then. I treat the dust same as sanding a Corvette, very carefully.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:45 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
What is G10 and what is it used for?
It is a flat fiberglass plate in various thicknesses. It is the same stuff that is used between the copper in a PC board like that of a computers motherboard. I am using it for the hinges and horns for a B-25. I started making the control arms for the tail and found that the sheet I got is too thick for control arms there, and the 4-40 ball links are too large as well. May need to order a .060 sheet for those instead. The .125 sheet I got is perfect for the hinges though.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

And what will be the advantage of these over commercially available hinges and horns?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 AM
acdii

The G10 is rock hard and nearly inflexible, and less prone to wear like plastic hinges do. The hinges I made are not available either since they are custom made per plans, and usually made from plywood. You slide a wire through the elevator and engage the hinge in the stab.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

G-10 will destroy a band saw blade in seconds. My friend uses a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. He says he can get many cuts that way. BTW, he made a table to invert mount the jigsaw. There is a commercial saw out like that now. Name slips me at the moment..
Old 01-24-2017, 05:12 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my scroll saw to rough cut the part and my disk sander to finish the part. Both have vacuum ports so dust is not really a problem. It still eats the teeth off of the scroll saw blades but at least they are inexpensive and easy to change.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:49 AM
acdii

My bandsaw blade was about done, I used it to cut aluminum which softened the teeth so it was burning plywood. It still cuts balsa OK, but was due for replacement, no loss on my part, I got some of the parts I needed done. Going to look into that jigsaw bench mentioned, I know what you are referring to, just need to find the blades now.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:19 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have cut a lot of G-10 with a metal band saw cutting blade. The bi-metal ones lasted a pretty long time. The G-10 sands the teeth away sooner or later. I used to use old blank circuit board for my hot wire foam cutter. The G-10 made the best templates. They sanded so smooth and the heat did not bother them and they would never wear out.

I used a blade like this one. Mine was 112" though.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BS6412-...+bandsaw+blade

Buzz.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:45 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a diamond cut off wheel in a Dremel as much as possible, especially for the rough cuts then take it to a disc sander to finish.
One cut off wheel will last a good long time.
https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools...+cut+off+wheel
Old 02-10-2017, 11:07 AM
acdii

I picked up a Dremel router table and a diamond straight bit that seemed to work pretty good. Just have to feed slowly and have the vacuum running.