Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Micro Servo Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Micro Servo Question

Old 03-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Dave13579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Servo Question

Scratch building a 1:4 scale Twin engine Seneca II. The plans call for the use of bellcranks to operate the flaps and ailerons, I wanted to use servos. Now that I have the wing built, I see there isnt enough room for a standard size servo. I have looked for micro servos, but everyone says dont use on larger gas powered planes. Are there any smaller servos I can use, the radio is a futaba.

Thanks Dave
Old 03-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not enough room for standard servos mounted sideways? I've done that on planes considerably smaller than 1/4 scale.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Dave13579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes, I ask a question, then think how crazy of a question is that....... Of course there is plenty of room to mount the servo sideways. Thank you for slapping me awake.

Dave
Old 03-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave13579
Sometimes, I ask a question, then think how crazy of a question is that....... Of course there is plenty of room to mount the servo sideways. Thank you for slapping me awake.

Dave
Dave, let's get one thing straight:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CRAZY OR STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, that said, there are stupid questions. My definition of a stupid question is a question where the person asking the question doesn't listen to the answer or keeps asking the same question to multiple people until the desired answer is given
Old 03-15-2017, 05:25 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There are low profile wing servos also for planes with thin wings. They have the same torque and durability of standard servos, but with a rearranged gear train that allows for a thinner case.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Save the weight it adds up quickly on multi's, especially scale multi's. My Go to for many multi projects I have done all the way up to six engines for throttles is the Hitec HS-85 or the HS-225 mini.

John
Old 03-15-2017, 07:43 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tactic 25 digital servos. I use a lot of them, but I don't fly gas. They stand up to 18K piped nitro hot rods.

Scott
Old 03-16-2017, 03:46 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

For a 1/4 Scale Twin Engine plane, I for sure would us a sufficient power metal gear servos all around, at the minimum a HS-645mg for Flaps and Ailerons, personally I use the digital cousins for all my gas planes,

John, you must have mis read the OP,, I can't see you suggesting using a Mini on a plane that size to save a little weight,, I mean we're talking a 111" wingspan plane here,, with what?? Twin 30cc-40cc Gassers?? A HS-85 or HS-225?? Smaller .25-,40 glow twins,, sure
Old 03-16-2017, 07:36 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you Scale you are correct I did miss read this thread as I confused this thread with another elsewhere on the same subject that was confined to just the throttles. I do still recommend either of those two servos for just the throttles on most conceivable twins or multis. The 225's for the larger engines are fine. and have used them no problems on a number of my gassor projects up to 50cc. The HS-85 on the smaller engines are also still my throttle 'go to servo' However the 85 has one drawback and that is it unlike the 225 is a two screw mount instead of a four screw type and that can present a problem if they are mounted sideways. Undesirable servo rocking can occur sometimes in this situation.

Thanks agine Scale

John