Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Xk a800

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xk a800

Does anybody know if the XK a800 is any easier to fly than the sport Cub s?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Any particular reason you are looking at something that small?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 PM
obrien135

Default Price

Only because of the price. I have only flown the sport Cub s and the T28 Trojan s but I have gone through 6 of them and I can't control them at all in the advanced or intermediate mode. The last one I couldn't even control in the safe mode. I was wondering if I might have better luck with the a800. 50 dollars makes it tempting but I can't throw away even that. Much if I'm going to get the same result s
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

It sounds to me that you are trying to learn without an instructor. This is a pretty difficult thing to do, the difficulty is compounded with the small aircraft. My suggestion to you would be to get ypur hands on a Eflight Radian. Unfortunately the standard version has been discontinued but they come up for sale on RCG all the time. You can still order the Night Radian from Tower/Horizon which is kinda cool but a tad heavier. Yes more money but IMO a much better chance of success.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 PM
obrien135

Default Thank you

Thank you I will take that into consideration. I was wondering in case I wanted to stick with a 4-channel airplane do you think the a800 what require ballrooms in about two and a half soccer fields? bear in mind that I have trouble turning without losing altitude and I have to take my turns very gradually and use it a lot of space. The only place available around here as about two and a half soccer field so width. Usually as soon as I switch into the advanced mode I totally lose control but if I am able to keep you in a straight line for a few seconds I usually would try a slow turn which would go into a diet and lose control but if I try to fast time we go out of control much faster

Last edited by obrien135; 07-12-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:08 AM
obrien135

Default Thank youedits

I made some edits to the last post but the speech recognition system on my phone didn't pick it up very well
Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What you really need is flying skills. I seem to recall having this conversation with you before. Get with an instructor to learn how to fly. Tight turns aren't hard to do if you have some understanding of the aerodynamic forces involved and some basic technique.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:38 AM
obrien135

Default Tight turns

I thank you for the input. In. Regard to the tight turns, I think I have the basic idea of the physics behind it but I don't find it's that easy to get the hang of actually doing it I've tried for years and I still who's control when I try to make a tight turn in a decimal with it sport Cub ,I think the amount of room might be a problem in my case I'm really reluctant to purchase the AAA 800 for the amount of space that's available in this area
Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning obrien135, OK here is what seems to be the bottom line in your case: you need hands on help and I am not talking about the forums either. You need a real life competent flyer standing there next to you and yes maybe even a buddy cord. Also I am of the opinion you need to get away from the tiny little park flyers that in some ways arguably are more difficult than a larger more conventional trainer (gas or electric) to fly. If that means going to a conventional RC field then so be it.

Since the very start of remotely controlled models there has been electronic wizardry devised that is supposed to help some to lean to fly. Virtually all have failed in that mission. Yes many systems may provide some degree of stabilization for the aircraft however this can indeed work aginst some who are trying to learn to fly.

I hope you do not take any of this in a negative way as indeed, I as well as most here hope to see you succeed .

John
Old 07-20-2019, 08:18 AM
jester_s1

John has it right. I flew a Hobbyzone Super Cub once. It was considered one of the best smaller park flying type trainers on the market. I found it so annoying to fly since I was used to my .40 size 4 channel trainer and then similar sized sport planes. Honestly, a big part of your problem is that you are flying models that are not designed to fly well. They are designed to be cheap and easy to get into the air. I think you'll be surprised how quickly your flying will improve with a good airplane and an instructor.
Where do you live, Obrien135?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 PM
obrien135

Default I live in Connecticut I appreciate your candor John also

Thank you for some of the fun they coming out and stating the facts John and everybody else that's responded it's good to hear the truth and this is what I need to hear and sooner someone finally said it I appreciate it I guess I have to wait till my wife is me to go out to join the club I gue we are on a tight budget so that may take some time thank you all for your input
Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK now obrian 135 I am very pleased at your response, that attitude is the key to your ultimate success. Yes I understand the money pinch and that is exactly why one needs to get involved. By being involved with a club you will fined so many ways to save money effectively. Often many clubs keep on hand 'club trainers' that are intended to just provide intro flights with interested partys . However----------with the losses of new folks to the Drone hobby which is actually a very, very different hobby, Most clubs are finding it very difficult to secure new members which if you think about are the lifeblood of the future.

I you were near here I would offer the club trainer complete with cordless buddy box systems and train you free of charge other than just the cost of fuel. The point is buy networking and displaying that attitude you have demonstrated here with your local club. you maybe surprised or even shocked.

Get your wife involved, have her read this thread and guess who your fuure caller/spotter is going to be

John, many happy landings with three greens!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:29 PM
jester_s1

Go ahead and talk with the clubs. Tell them what you've been doing and explain that it'll be a slow process due to finances. But ask if they have training days and ask what's required. The vast majority of clubs that are looking to grow use training days as outreach, so you may get to start building your flying skills before getting your next plane. Let your wife see you building your skills too so that next purchase doesn't feel like wasted money.
On financing this hobby- don't focus on how much an item costs and compare it with what you are comfortable spending. I hear it from new hobbyists sometimes- "I can't afford a $1000 airplane." But it's not true.
Instead, choose a monthly hobby amount that you can handle. If it's $100 a month, great. $50 can work. $25 is pretty barebones. Once you have a monthly amount you can handle, just start saving for what you want.
So if your club membership and AMA dues cost $150, at $50 a month you can have it done in 3 months. Maybe you can train with the club's trainer since you're joining, right? Then maybe your own trainer plane takes you until Christmas to get. Your next plane after that may take you until the middle of summer. Maybe next year you get excited about a bigger warbird like a P47 with retracts and a 4 stroke engine. I'tll take you a year, but you can afford it.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 PM
obrien135

Default Thank you

Thank s guys. I will talk with my wife about it. Thank you.