Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

run testing an engine!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

run testing an engine!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 08:31 PM
GodBomber!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run testing an engine!

I have an engine, it is a thunder tiger 15. And I want to know what I need to get to test this engine. What do I need? I have a gas tank, and that is all! Is this all I need to test the engine, A gas tank, fuel line, and fuel. What fuel do I use?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: run testing an engine!

glow fuel..
i think you'll need glow plugs, a glow stick too... and maybe a prop.. then a way to control it, i dont use servos, just a push rod trapped under the band holding the tank when bench testing
best way to test an engine is to stick it in a plane, that way you got all you need there
Old 10-26-2003, 09:40 PM
GodBomber!

What is a glow plug? could some one send me a photo of one? By the way, could I just strap the engine to a large post anchored into the ground? and then attach a rod to the throttle to change the gas flow by hand? The engine is a small engine any way, so it is not like it is a huge extremely powerful engine. But SAFER IS BETTER!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:55 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need a glow plug if there isn't already one installed in the top center of the head. Then you'll need a glow igniter which clips onto the plug. Many igniters have a built in battery so you don't need wires running to a power panel.

You'll need a fuel pump to pump fuel from the container into the tank. (Manual works fine.)

You'll find it much easier to start the engine if you have a 12 volt starter, which will also require a 12 volt battery to power it. You can use a chicken stick instead, but it may take a lot of work to start the engine with one. (It's a stick you use to manually flip the prop.)

Most of all, I'd recommend getting help. You can ruin an engine if you run it too lean, and not even knowing what you need to run one tells me you haven't a clue on how to properly tune it.

Good luck,
Dennis-
Old 10-27-2003, 02:59 AM
Cactus.

im with you on this dennis.
if you don't even know what a glow plug is it's time to seak out the local club. getting an engine ran in isn't easy for the first timers, even the instructions don't help often.
you can screw up an engine quicker than you think with a bit of wrong twiddling, eps the small ones.
as much info as you'll get here we can't be there to go "oooh! stop...back a bit"
Old 10-27-2003, 06:41 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Club members will be glad to help you free of charge, and will probably even provide what's needed (Batteries, starters, etc) If you catch them in a good mood, and you're perceived as a nice individual, they just might even supply the fuel.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:16 PM
GodBomber!

I have an electric starter for the engine, and the fuel tank. see I thought that were there is two places for the hoses, that they both connect to the fuel tank. One of the hoses on the engine is on the side of the carb. and the other is on the side of the exhaust pipe. I thought that the one on the exhaust preasure the fuel in the tank, and pushes the fuel through the other line into the engine. Also There is one club nere me, but clubs are hard to find, because I live in the hills!. But I love living in the hills, there is just some things that are hard to do. I want to go to the flying field, but it is hard to do at this time[]. And I have my engine in front of me right now I think it has a glow plug on it. It is at the top center right.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Cactus.

you got the pressure bit right.
the glow plug is right on top of the engine, looks like a little nipple.
i'm even more of the mind you shouldnt do this by your self. you clearly don't have enough knowelege to do this propperly or safely, comming here was a great first step. please learn all you can before you even fill the tank.
a bigger worry is when you do get this done your gonna want to make it fly next and thats much harder.
if you live in the hills why dont you do a bit of slope soaring?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:56 PM
GodBomber!

Slope soaring? what is slope soaring? Is that with a glider? If so I don't think you could fly one around here, there is a big cliff right next to were I live, But if you tryed to fly a glider off of it it would probly bust, or get caught in the tree tops below.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:48 AM
Smoky

I agree with the majority here GB! that engine sure is pretty,,,but you can burn em out pretty quick! and then it is only a paper weight.
IF you could get the names of some of the pilots that are in that club you mentioned. just give em a phone call. Heck, If they got time? I am sure they will come and help you get set up the right way.

I live in the sticks here too. And we don't have a club going as of yet. it is in the plans tho.. however I get frequent phone calls from kids of all ages. and am more than happy to help them out, from Plane building, rigging, balance, radio checks, everything to make sure the 1st flight is an enjoyable moment and not a bad memory.

Phone calls are easy! and that is such a pretty engine isn't it!
Smoky.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:06 PM
GodBomber!

I have not been to the club yet, I want to go but no one will take me there[:@]. I can't wait to learn to fly. I think it will be so cool and fun. I'm in the mind to spend about $300.00 that should get me a good used plane right? But the queston still stands! what is slope soaring?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:20 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get to the club, I'm betting that $300 will get you a really good used trainer, with engine and radio equipment, and maybe a few other field items too.

Slope soaring is basically flying a glider at the edge of a hill (at the top). You use the wind coming up the side of the hil for lift. Many are not gliders in the typical sense, but can be warbirds or whatever. Just without engines.
Dennis-
Old 10-28-2003, 10:28 PM
GodBomber!

Thank you for telling my this. So I could get a good trainer that is at least .40 size for $300.00? plus some equipment maybe, cool[X(]!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Cactus.

if you get a EPP glider you don't have to worry about bashing it up, the fuel is free and lasts all day and you can get going for the price of just a ARTF trainer alone.

as with a engine tuning thread going on here at the mo, as you don't have any training yet it's not a very wise idea to try this on your own, you WILL kill the plane within a few seconds. dosn't matter how far the club is, you need to get there. the EPP glider how ever will survive that first bump, plus the rest and you can self teach.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:33 AM
locolobot

If you have Internet access go to tower hobbies.com and you can purchase a trainer that is ready to fly (rtf) for under $300. At that price they will ship it to you free of shipping charges and taxes. Join the club and they will teach you to fly with a buddy cord which will keep you from wrecking the plane. That way you learn how without all the heart aches we old timer's went through. And I might add learn the safe way to start and fly the engines you want