Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Multiplex Twin Jet Accesories

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Multiplex Twin Jet Accesories

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 10:56 AM
mayday421p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Twin Jet Accesories

I'm thinking of getting a Multiplex Twin Jet 480. I was wondering if anyone around here has had some experience with this plane. This would be my first electric, and I'm not so sure what servos, receiver, battery and Electronis Speed Control I should use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and happy flying!
Old 11-11-2003, 11:35 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Multiplex Twin Jet Accesories

Not a good first plane!

I know it looks "cool", and your anxious to get something that looks great, but start at the beginning. I guarantee that your first, and maybe last, flight with it won't be longer than 10 seconds. (Probably more like 5.)

Go to the "Beginners" forum and read some of the threads with titles like "Beginner", "First Plane", "Just Starting Out"...., that sort of thing. Do a little research before you try to jump in. You'll have a MUCH better experience.

By the way, welcome to RCU and RC flight. It's a GREAT hobby, and this is a terrific site filled with amazing information and a whole pile of people who are more than happy to help. We also want you to be successful.
Dennis-
Old 11-11-2003, 11:57 AM
mayday421p

DBCherry: Thanks for the rapid response. I understand your concern, but I have been flying an Avistar for a while though. I am currently building my second plane a GP Extra 300 .40 ARF. So the Twin Jet would actually be my third. I have also flown low wing planes before. I wanted to get a park flyer that I can take anywhere, and the twin jet seems like a lot of fun. I was thinking of maybe getting it for christmas, the thing is that I'm not sure what electronics to choose, and there isn't a lot of information on the twin jet on rcuniverse.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:00 AM
DBCherry

Okay, sorry. I should have looked closer, you did say first electric.

Here's what I'd use; a 25 amp (minimum) speed control, brand doesn't really matter. Either Hitec 55 or 81 servos, the 55's are lighter which is always good with electrics. The Hitec 555 (or 535) receiver.

I'll recommend an 8 cell, 600AE NiCD pack as an inexpensive flight pack. There's much better technology available though, depending on your finances. (But if you have the bucks, you should be putting a brushless motor and speed control in that thing anyway. About $240. ) (Do some more checking before buying though, my pack recommendation is based on some limited speed 400 stuff, and I'm not sure the 600AE's will hold up to the amps pulled by two motors.)

Keep in mind, these things fly pretty fast and furious; you can NOT slow them down, especially in turns, or they'll fall out of the sky. [:@] They also need quite a bit of space, so don't try this in a small park or soccer field.

Try this site. They're devoted to electrics, and if you do a search for the Twin Jet, I'm betting you'll get pagfes of info.
http://www.ezonemag.com/
Old 11-12-2003, 09:10 AM
mayday421p

Thanks, you've been very helpful. I'm thinking of sticking with the stock motors for a while. I have read than it flies much better with a single brushless, but that would come later. I have never flown a plane this small that goes this fast so I want to familiarize with it first. I also don't want to spend so much money. I will check that link you sent. Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:12 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I have this plane and I love it. it is NT a parkflyer, even with the stock motors it covers ground very quickly. It is ultra responsive and I love flying it.

DBCherry makes pretty good recomendations for components to get and I also advise you look at www.ezone.com for more info. Those guys are a very good group of people and there is tons of info there.

Ill post pics of mine later this week for you if you want

regards
Old 11-12-2003, 06:49 PM
micp
My Feedback: (3)

This is one of my favorite planes and I have many.. They are strong, cheap and a lot of fun for very little work. I use a 35 amp ESC, Hitec HS 81 servos and 8 cell cp1700scr batteries. The 480 motors will fly it well but get rid of the Zagi props and look for graupner or APC props and you will have a much better experince. You do need to give it a good throw to get it hand launched. Also I have swapped the balsa stringer for the fuselage for a spruce one. This adds very little weight but adds to the strength of the fuse while providing a great skid. If you go for it as a thrid plane you will likely do well but remember that pushers with delta wings fly different then your avistar so keep air speed up and enjoy. Any questions let me know.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:30 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: DBCherry
I'll recommend an 8 cell, 600AE NiCD pack as an inexpensive flight pack.
You will land before you have taken off! Use a 1700 as an absolute minimum, preferably a 2400. The Twinjet works fine on a 7 cell pack 8 is better but for 8 cells you need a more expensive step up charger, basic chargers will only properly charge a max of 7 cells. Step up chargers like the supernova are wll worth having for the future though, and can be used to charge your 8 cell Tx pack and so on.

H
Old 11-13-2003, 08:53 AM
DBCherry

Harry,
Thanks for the recommendation on flight pack. You'll notice in my post that I said he should do additional research before using a 600 AE pack.
Dennis-
Old 10-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Kensonic

I just setup my twin Jet with two Warp 4 BL4-15-5 (5-turn speed 400 sized inrunner) using two Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 Brushless speed controllers and 2 -2100 mAh 3S Lipo batteries. The Thunderbirds work great and they keep the cost down to go with two brushless motors. I added carbon fiber strips around the outside of the foam motor mounts and used 2 Master Airscrew 6x4 3-blade propellers. With the Master 3 blades I was able to get a normal and a pusher version of these props and then run the 2 motors opposite so as to cancel out the torque. On a brushless motor you can reverse the rotation by swapping two of the control wires and there is no efficiency loss. This works great as there is NO tendency to rotate on launch due to prop torque. I went for thrust and not speed, so my tops out at 50 Miles Per Hour, but it can really climb. This setup draws about 11.6 Amps per motor which is no problem for the motors, ESCs, or batteries. After a flight everything is cool. After a typical flight of 8-10 minutes, I have only used about 1000 mAh from each battery (1/2 of the capacity)! Its very stable, needs just a normal toss to get airborne and lands very slowly. A good way to start with a delta. You can change the motor/prop combination to get insane speed, but I wanted something that was still flyable in a soccer field.