Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how to set new engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how to set new engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:41 PM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to set new engine

I'm putting together a Skyward 60 Trainer with a K&B 61 engine. I've noticed some engines are canted to the right in some planes and assume it is to counter act the thrust of the motor. Since the stringers in the engine compartment are not pre drilled I'm wondering should I set the motor at an angle and if so how many degrees? Or should I just put it in straight?

Horseman
Old 02-11-2004, 12:06 AM
kdheath

Default RE: how to set new engine

On a trainer, about 2 or 3 degrees. The offset counteracts torque for one thing, There is a huge argument that will go on forever about whether "P-factor", gyroscopic precession, torque, spiral airflow, or the alignment of the stars causes airplanes to pull to the left on takeoff.....Put in a couple of degrees and go enjoy it.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:00 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Yep... most trainers 2 to 3 deg right and about 3 or 4 deg down. Larger engines (compared to the size listed in the instructons) need more down.

Note the downthrust angle is relative to the aircraft "neutral flight" Not relative to the bottom of the main wing. The angle relative the the wing can be LARGE... 9 deg relative to the wing is not unreasonable.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:28 AM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks guys, 2 degrees will be it then. I contacted the manufacturer and they suggest two degrees with no down thrust. It's great to be able to get on this site and be able to ask questions and know that someone will help you out. Thanks again.

Horseman
Old 02-13-2004, 09:08 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to keep in mind, most kit's and ARF's have the proper right and/or down thrust built in. Usually the firewall is offset to the proper angles, and the engine simply gets mounted straight on the mount.
Dennis-
Old 02-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Check to make sure that the plane doesn't climb or drop with throttle settings.

ORIGINAL: Horseman

Thanks guys, 2 degrees will be it then. I contacted the manufacturer and they suggest two degrees with no down thrust. It's great to be able to get on this site and be able to ask questions and know that someone will help you out. Thanks again.

Horseman
Old 02-15-2004, 03:11 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Most high-winged trainers need some down thrust..... side thrust is not needed!
I would not recommend any side-thrust in your trainer...but down thrust .....maybe 2-4 degrees..but that might already been built in!?? Check it!
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden