Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3 blade props

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:51 PM
Flyin4Fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 blade props

I am using 2 Master Airscrew 9x7 3 blade props on my A-26 wings Mfg. kit. The engines are O.S. LA 40's. It fly's very fast and accelerates very quikly. I want to try a set of the Evolution Power System 3 blade Props which are 10" dia. and a inch wide and give a more scale look. The specs say 9x6 but the overall measurments are as above.

First link is Evolution prop, second is Master Airscrew prop................

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...?prod=EVOE100P

http://www.masterairscrew.com/GoCart...74744362994663

Would these props be a radical change in performance or a slight change?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 03-03-2004, 05:35 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: 3 blade props

The engines would run at a higher RPM due to the reduced pitch. You should have more pulling power due to this increased RPM.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Flyin4Fun

Thanks...........................................; )
Old 03-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Flyin4Fun

Uh Ohhhhhh...........

Those props killed the performance big time. Lost too much power. Luckly i made it back to the runway. But, they sure looked good on the plane. Looked very scale like. Put the old ones back on was very flyable. Back to the drawing board...........................

Ed
Old 03-17-2004, 11:09 PM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

The evolution props are 10 x 4 but very wide blades. the 40 la lacks the power these props need. I am running one on a super tirgre 45 in a seagull models pc9. It lowered my top speed but seems to work well and like you said you cant beat the looks, it looks very scale on the turbo prop model pc9. good luck to ya Butch in Niagara Falls.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:14 PM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

I forgot to tell you, also try the graupner 9 x 7 three bladed prop, nice looking rounded tips. it also seems to be a very hard rigid blade unlike the masterairscrews . I spray mine flat black and the balance them with yellow paint on the tips, they come grey like the apc props. good luck to ya Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 03-17-2004, 11:36 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The loss in "performance" was due to the lower pitch. The pitch gives you the theoretical distance that the prop will pull the plane forward with every revolution. (Friction, drag, etc. reduce the actuals "speed".)

But speaking theoretically, assuming that your engines turn at 10,000 RPM, the 9 X 7 props would pull the plane at a top speed of about 66 mph, but the 10 X 4's would only get you about 38 mph. Quite a difference! []
Dennis-
Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Flyin4Fun

My mistake was that i thought the evolution prop was 10x6. Almost lost the plane. I tried a 9x7 2 blade and it seemed to fly much better than with the 8x7 3 blade. Im beginning to think that bird just lacks the power it needs. It seems to fly pretty good straight and level but once i begin a turn it seems to lose momentum and squats thru the turn like it's under powered? thanks all for your help.

Ed