Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel storage containers

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel storage containers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 AM
mustangman177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel storage containers

Hi All !

Did a search on this forum and did not find the answer I was looking for, so here it is.

What do you use as a fuel storage container when storing your fuel in your field box ?

I have built a modified field box. following the instructions in the post "the field box from Hell". (In this or another forum) It works great. Using my dremel, I carved out the bottom tray so that a plastic rectangular gallon antifreeze jug fits nicely there. The jug was thoroughly cleaned out before using to hold the fuel. Is this a safe container to store fuel in ? I've read that the fuel can go bad by being exposed to the plastic ? Would a metal container be better ?

Another thought, Would the type of oil content of the fuel have any effect here. I currently use Byrons fuels with 18% Castor oil. Would synthetic oil be have and different effect

Thanks in advance for any input?

Cary
Old 03-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel storage containers

The antifreeze jug should work just fine. It's not the plastic that harms the fuel, it is the CLEAR plastic that harms it, because it is vunerable to the sun's UV light. UV light is glow fuel's mortal enemy. Store extra fuel in a dark place, store field box fuel in a non clear container. I use an old metal paint thinner jug.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:27 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Deadeye is dead on. Keep the light away from the fuel. I also use a gallon metal can. I also store my extra fuel in the basement in a dark corner.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:31 PM
mustangman177

Thanks alot guys for answering my questions. The fuel is inside the flight box, away from light in a jug that is glazed over. provides double protections. I have ordered 4 cases of fuel from my LHS. Will keep the unopened cases in a dark room.

Would it be best to close off the jug after each flying session with a screw on top rather than leaving in the top with the fuel lines fitted to the top to prevent moisture from contaminating the fuel ? I do this just be safe.

Thanks again

Cary
Old 03-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would say just fly more and use the fuel up quickly.
That way it doesn't have time to go bad!