Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 01:51 AM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

I have heard or read (can't remember) somewhere that you can put a fuel pump on your model...this sounds like a great way to avoid dead sticks...I was wondering if anybody(out there) was using them and can you explain them...I would like to put one on a 91 saito and a 100 satio...thanks...
Old 07-14-2002, 02:19 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Fuel Pump

I have used a perry pump to feed fuel from a tank that was located at the CG. Once you get it adjusted it works great. Getting it adjusted is a real pain.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:42 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Fuel Levels

A regulated fuel supply is definitely the ticket in some situations. In others, it's just another glob of stuff to drive you crazy. The point is, if you don't need it leave it out for now. Your level of experience will be your guide. Below are a couple of links to the predominant suppliers of such devices. Some are pumps and some are regulators. The pumps "tend" to want/need a matching carb to handle the additional volume and or pressure.
In your case some of this doesn't apply as you have 4 strokes.
Let us know what you decide_bob

http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/fuelsysdesc.htm

http://www.perrypumps.com/

http://www.reivers.myweb.nl/regulate...el_supply.html
Old 07-14-2002, 02:40 PM
Low Wing

Default hear ya..but'

bob_nj...thanks for the reply...but are there motor's that are already set up with an on board pump...would that be a better way to go...and do these pumps work better on 2-stroke's...I'm looking for a consistent fuel supply while flying extreme 3-d maneuver's...which doesn't seem to effect smaller 40 size model's like profile's and what not...But' on my scale 60-90 size 91-100 saito 4-stroke set up's, I have had some dead stick trouble right in the middle of lot's a fun...I'm asking you(and whoever out here who has had experience) cause it seems sometime's hobby store people are more inclined to sell as apposed to tell...which is understandable from a greedy perspective...
Old 07-14-2002, 03:47 PM
bob_nj

Default Three Dee

I got ya! The four strokes I've seen don't seem to need what you describe as much as the two strokes. The YS engines use a different principle for fuel regulation but it is a superb system. It's stock on all of their two and four strokes. They are a bit finnicky and on the heavy side but well worth the effort. I have a little experience wiht the OS stuff and it worked OK for me. Maybe we can start with your particular set up and go from there. What plane, weight, etc. are you currently flying?
Old 07-14-2002, 07:20 PM
fr8dog

Default Fuel Pump

I am curently using the OS91FS with the fuel pump on it in my TF Spitfire. The engine sits inverted so that is why I went with the pump. The pump comes set from the factory so don't touch the pump adjustment and you will be fine. When running the engine you only have to set the needle valve for max RPM and the pump does the rest of the work from there.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:34 AM
Low Wing

Default set up

I'am currently flying a 60-size Super 90 Chipmunk with a 91 four stroke Saito...I also have the same model with a 100 saito...The model alone weighs 5.4 pounds. So if you add the weight of a 91 saito, 5- 605's and a re-track you have the weight...This model fly's very very well(great CG)...I have let other's much better than myself have the sticks and it is a favorite, that is capable of almost anything...But the reason I asked about a 2-stroke is because I bought a OS 91 fx 2-stroke and I'm putting it on a Extra 300 60-size...I'm hoping to pull the cork out on this set up(we'll see)...I don't know the weight of this model yet...
Old 07-15-2002, 09:07 AM
bob_nj

Default Fuel Pump

Your original question was about the Saito. Are you having trouble with any of those engines? Will the Extra have a side mounted or inverted engine? A pump shouldn't have much to do about dead sticks though_bob
Old 07-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Low Wing

Default question

ya' your right...I guess I was caught between a dilemma and a correction...living with the four-stroke factor for now and/or trying to eliminate the trouble with a whole new game...But, if your up for it, what about the 91 set up...the motor is side mounted...the 100 set up is inverted...all the other info is the same...
Old 07-15-2002, 12:19 PM
bob_nj

Default 4 Stroke

I'm going on the premise that you are looking for advice on a fuel pump for a four stroke. From what I remember, Perry/Varsane?Conley makes or used to anyway an oscillating (vibration driven) pump for the four stroke that supposedly worked well. Check the perrypumps link I posted and tool around until you find it. If you are experiencing dead sticks or flameouts, we may need to start at the beginning, fuel/prop/plug/tank etc. Let me know_bob
Old 07-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Low Wing

Default Roger That

Thanks...I'll check out the perry site...