Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

U control to be turned RC

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

U control to be turned RC

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Mediaman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U control to be turned RC

[8D] A dear friend just gave me a U control plane that's begging to go to the next step. (R/C)

The plane's wingspan is 53 inches, from tail to back of spinner is 33 1/4. For engine I'm thinking an OS 25 bushing, a micro receiver, two minis & a micro servo for throatle.

One wing is two inches longer than the other. Other than balancing and trim, should I be concerned.

Has anyone done this before, what kind of plane should result from this? Please comment.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 05:08 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: U control to be turned RC

Yes Ukie to RC conversions have been done quite a bit in the past. And one of the better know conversions sold commercially is the Top Flite RC version of the Ukie Nobler.

I have done a number of conversions but the other way around, RC to Ukie. Many Ukie stunt ships feature a longer left wing than the right. This will be unacceptable for a Ukie to RC conversion and to be successful the span will have to be equalized.

To comment further more info will be needed: Is it a profile, Is it a short fuselage combat type? and so on. A lot of decisions to be made such as are you intending three control with just rudder, elvator and throttle. If so you will need dihedral and Ukies normally never have this. Many Ukies have rather short tail moment arms and may be less than desirable for good pitch stability as an RC. Another factor is many Ukies will not have suffficient vertical tail surface area for good yaw stability as an RC. For these reasons and others some of the commercial conversions have tended to come out looking quite a bit different.

It really all depends in what you want out of the project as to the practicality. If its just because you want to get into the air easily with a freebie then its not the best idea.

John[8D]

If you can post a picture it would be easier to suggest just how practical conversion it will be.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Mediaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

Thanks for replying, Till you mentioned lack of directional stability, I intended to use 1 throatle servo, 1 elevator servo, and 2 aileron servos, all except the carb servo would be minis, the distance between the trailing edge of the wing, and the horizontal stab is 6 inches, the wing is 12 wide. The vertical stab looks ok. The fuselaje is narrow, It's beautiful.

Looking forward to more comments
Old 08-01-2004, 07:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK this airplane has a rather short tail moment arm. Also this ship is going to have 0-0-0 decalage meaning the thrustline, wing and horizontal stab incidence are all going to be at zero. That is fine for an aerobatic type RC and a more skilled pilot but what worries me here is you. If you are just getting started this is an inappropriate project, if you are an experianced pilot with some aerobatic skills and possibly even more important, building skills then its an interesting challenge. The wings must be matched up either shorten the long one or lengthen the other. Rest assured this is not in any way an inexpensive quick way to just get into RC.

Ukie (controlline or U-Control) is not just another "next step" on the way to RC flight. Instead it is an entirely different form of flight and offers thrills and real life flight feedback that RC will never be be able to replicate. So if your are in fact fairly new in RC or for that matter an old timer I would highly suggest you instead stay with the many great RC aircraft avaliable out their and get help to fly the Ukie as a Ukie otherwise you will never know of the opportunity you missed.

I fly a wide variety sport and competition RC as well as Ukie and do it out of a wheelchair. RC will never be a step up from Ukie. Man, Don't blow the opportunity Give it a shot !

John[8D]