Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS 46 FX Glow Plug Issue

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS 46 FX Glow Plug Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 03:36 PM
CB1000C
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46 FX Glow Plug Issue

I purchased a new OS 46 FX engine this summer and have run approximately 4 gallons of Hobby Town %10 percent fuel with %18 percent Oil content. I have also gone through approx 9 glow plugs (1) Original equipment, (6) OS #8, (2) misc plugs with idle bars. I have noticed that the element inside the plug appears to be stretched once the glow plug fails. I have tried various fuel mixtures and nothing seams to help. My next step is to disassemble the engine. I also have a problem with the idle mixture screw being loose and the fuel mixture tends to richen up after the engine has been ran a while. I am also in the process of fixing that issue. Any suggestions as to what could cause this problem is appreciated.

08/10/02 - UPDATE!!! - Installed A3 glow plug and have since used 2 gallons of fuel on same plug. Knock on wood.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:30 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your running too lean and overheating the element. But I'm just guessing.

Maybe a new o-ring on the low speed needle would tighten it up.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:41 PM
splatt

Default fx's

I belong to a club that races quickee 500's with OS 46fx's and 15% omega fuel (pink stuff). we will have 16 to 20 people on a contest day and I've heard of nobody going through that many plugs, ever. We use them because of their consistency from engine to engine, which makes for great racing.

The only thing I can think of is either too much prop or too lean a mixture. My opinion on prop sizes would be 9x7, 10x6, 11x5 etc. Don't load it down with a 11x7, 12x6. Let it spin, it's a 2 stroke. Good luck
Old 07-24-2002, 07:12 PM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

if your using your panel for for glow starts, throw it away . and go get a battery powered clip on glow start. this wil probally solve your problem
Old 07-24-2002, 07:27 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

I had this EXACT problem when I first got my OS .46FX. It was leaning out in the air and burning out my plugs. Turned out the needle valve was leaking air leaning me out in flight.

If you can see the lines, watch them at full throttle and see if you see bubbles in the tube going into or out of the needle valve. Into it means you have fuel foaming and just need to balence your prop or pad your tank. Out of it means the valve is leaking.

OS makes a great engine but sucks when it comes to gaskets and seals. Replace the O ring in your valve, make sure all the nuts are tight, and if all else fails, use some liquid gasket (auto parts store) to seal it all up.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:37 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Also had this problem although it took a while to develop. One day I went through 3 glow plugs. I think they possibly got flooded... Not sure, 'cuz they looked good when I pulled them out, just very wet.

Put an A3 plug in and no problems since.

Mike
Old 07-27-2002, 01:19 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I had a similar problem with an OS 25 - 1 plug per flight! Making it very expensive to fly... What had happened was that it was going lean in the air, and I had richened up the idlle needle - which at some point fell out completely. So it was sucking air through the hole and leaning out even worse.

If your engine does not appear to be pulling in air anywhere, one possible solution is to put a shim under the cylinder head to lower the compression.

I have not had any problem with my FX's, though.....they are great engines.