Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HInge Points

Old 10-18-2004, 09:31 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HInge Points

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I was wondering if anyone has ever put masking tape over the holes, cut out the tape around the hole, then installed the hing using gorilla glue and if the tape helps in keeping the glue off of the covering..
Old 10-18-2004, 11:28 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Hinge Points

Try spraying some WD40 lightly on a rag and wipe the covering, the glue wont stick to the covering.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:21 PM
davidmor

Default RE: HInge Points

I did the masking tape thing on my last plane and to be quite honest, I wasn't worth the work. The glue will still seep under the tape and it is actually harder to get off when it is a thin layer like that, than when it is in a foam blob. The WD40 method works great.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:51 PM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

If you don't want to mess with the WD-40, I also just spray some of my wife's cooking spray (PAM, etc) onto a paper towel and wipe down both sides of the hingeline before gluing in the hings points. Like the WD-40, it keeps any glue that seeps out from sticking to the covering.

Oh, and I also put ONE drop of light machine oil on each hinge point "knuckle" before pushing the hinge into the pocket. This keeps glue from getting into the hinged "knuckle" and sticking things up! Just don't let the oil run down onto the shank, or the hinge won't be glued tightly into the hole!!!

Lee
Old 10-20-2004, 02:23 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

I had some hinge points get some gorilla glue in them. I put a drop of fuel on the hinges, worked them a little bit and let it sit for a couple of days. They're nice and free now. Note that it wasn't a blob of glue, but more like a frosty coating over them.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
CafeenMan

If gorilla glue is such a hassle, why not just use epoxy? I've used Hinge Points more than any other hinge and always use epoxy. It's fast, simple and all I have to do is wipe the trailing edge with a paper towel and lacquer thinner to remove excess glue before I put the hinges in. Takes 4 seconds.

Installing Robart Hinge Points
Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another variation, using Hinge Glue, pacer company. After you roughen the outside of the hinge points with sandpaper, you can fold them over tightly and wick some oil (wd40 okay) into the hinge, careful not to get oil on the surface area you wish to glue. Pacer glue is like thin resin glue and is a little runny, so it can be put liberally into the prepared hinge point hole. If you have wiped the covering around the hole area with oil, or not, the glue can be easily cleaned off with water, even after dry. The glue causes the bulsa to swell and seal the hinge point tightly into the hole. Good reliable, easy to use specialty glue for hinges. Enjoy the easy application and clean up.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Ernie Misner

Has anyone tried the Pacer type hinge glue on CA hinges?

Just wondering.... if it is thin and runny....?

Ernie