Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

First day

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 01:55 PM
Stagecoach62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First day

Hello,
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but here goes. I was a UH-1 driver in Vietnam and recently a friend suggested I become involved in RC helicopters. He stated becuase I have no knowledge of RC planes whatsoever, and have not developed any bad habits, that helicopters may be the way to start and hold my interest. Now that I'm retired and in Florida this sounds like a great idea. My question would be how do I get started? I've learned through experience that the actual participants in the "sport" are the best and most honest sources of information, so any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.
Just as a side note, and I don't knoe if anybody really cares, I was Stagecoach 62 with the 155 AHC in Ban Me Thout in 1970 and Hornet 28 with the 116 AHC in Chu Lai in 1971. Thanks for listening.
Jay Bowman
(Stagecoach 62)
Old 08-17-2002, 02:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First day

There are two things that will help you get into helicopters. The first is to find a club, group, or any other heli pilots in your area. The reason being that if you get the sameheli, radio, engine they are using they wil be able to help you set it up. If you show up to the field with say a JR heli and no one thee is flying one it wi will be harder for them to give you help.

The second item to think about is to get a sim. IT does not really matter what sim you get. You may hear you HAVE to get this sim, or that sim is junk. It comes down to ANY sim is better then not having one. Crashing on the computer cost you nothing. Most sim are around $200.00. Well you can crash on the sim a 1000 times and it does not cost you a dime. One crash on your new toy in real like will cost around $100.00 so two crashs and you have paid for the sim.

When you have narrowed it down to what you want to get post some question in the heli forum and there are a bunch of good people in there to answer your questions.

I do care about you being over there!!! Thanks for being there.

Dru.
Old 08-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Stagecoach62

Default First day

Thanks Dru,
To show you how unsofisticated I am at this I would like to ask if ther is a program,book,web site or other instrument I should get to learn the terms you used in your reply. I certainly understand the getting in touch with a club but just reading the questions and answers I realize I can't understand what people are talking about until I learn the lingo. My other problem is the descriptions of the make up of the machines.Is there a manual which shows parts and funtions of their operation?
Thanks again,
Stagecoach 62
Old 08-17-2002, 05:36 PM
tazzdevl1
My Feedback: (1)

Default First day

Stagecoach62,

I am not a heli pilot. So I don't now anything about them and have no advise. But, like the others have said. THANKS for beeing over there. I am not able to serve in the military due to mediacl issues. I have great admiration for those that can and do. Espcecially those of you that served in combat.

Thanks again and enjoy the hobby.

Cliff
Old 08-17-2002, 09:44 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Welcome

I am not aware of a book that would have all the various lingo's and phrase's in it, however the web is full of sites that are RC related. In the first post the fellow makes refrence to a simulator. There are a couple of them on the market with the most popular being the Real Flite Simulator manufactured by Great Planes. You load it on your computer and you can practice flying planes and helicopters to your hearts content. Make sure that you have a computer that has the needed requirments befor you buy a simulator. As for the comments about JR, this is in refrence to a brand name. There are different radio brands on the market, JR, Futaba, Airtronic's and such. As for what is the best one or the right one, this is an argument waiting to happen. Kinda like which is better, Ford or Chevy. The point being that you would want to obtain equipment that is comfortable with an instructor at the flying field and compatable if you were to get into the buddy box training system. You might want to obtain a copy of a magazine which might be a help to you. Radio Control Modeler, Model Airplane News, Model Avaition are all good sources of information. You can go to WWWTOWERHOBBIES.COM and on thier site you can order a catolog and they have links to RC manufacture's as well. A trip to the flying field and the hobby shop is well worth the effort as well. The other option, which is a good one is to post your questions in the approtiate forum and the RCU users are a wealth of information and always willing to share. Good Luck and feel free to email me if you have any question's. Thanks Dave.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Stagecoach62

Default First day

Gentlemen,
I want to thank you all. It certainly seems like there is plenty to keep me busy just getting started. Just one more question if I may and that is does previous experience with the real thing help hurt me?
S-62
Old 08-18-2002, 05:44 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First day

With or with out any previous experince it is all the same. It just takes time and effort.

If you go to Barnes and Noble do a search on model helicopters and there should be two books that come up. One is The basics of model helicoters and the other one is The Radio controlled helicoters. Not sure if this link will work but here goes.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...2+14%3A29%3A21

If you go to dogpile.com and do a search on model helicopter, you should have enough information to keep you going for a while.

One bit of advice I was given that I try to pass along is: It is very important to get the rotor blades out of the dirt. Helicopters do not fly well under ground. I have turned mine into a gopher chase a couple of times.

Dru.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:53 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default First day

I have seen a lot of Heli pilots put their choppers in and I would recommend that you purchase Real Flight. This is a program with a transmitter than you install and connect to your computer so that you can learn to fly helicopters and airplanes. It is expensive @ $200 but it is worth the money if you save yourself from one crash!

www.realflight.com