Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What Is A Pattern Plane ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Is A Pattern Plane ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 01:54 PM
arjunchopra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is A Pattern Plane ?

What is a pattern plane ? How is it different from an aerobatic

plane or is it the same thing ?

Cheers.

Arjun
Old 08-18-2002, 05:12 PM
rcpilotsteve-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is A Pattern Plane ?

This is a very good question. I would like to see it posted in the Pattern Forum. I'll try and answer it
I'm new to Pattern flying. I'm currently building a Dirty Birdy plane. The purpose of this plane is to practice Sportsman and Intermediate patterns and eventually compete. Although very close IMAC and Pattern flying differ in many ways. The weight of the planes, the powerplants used and the Scale built models are awsome and deserve their own class. Sometimes the actual maneuvers etc etc. You could very well fly a scale Extra 300 in pattern but (for an example) An Extra 300 with a monster power plant could and might be outside the allowable current weight of 11 lbs, I believe. If you went to a smaller plane with the same power it won't fly as well and the 60 size or bigger pattern ships with the same power to weight ratio will eliminate it. A two meter Pattern ship is still under 11lbs with more wing surface than a some 1/4 scales. We all know most of them scale ships sit somewhere between lets say 14lbs and 40lbs. My conclusion, We need light powerful ships as big as possible to fly pattern. We need Awesome incredibly well built powerful Scale Planes to perform IMAC. Now if they allowed for heavier planes under the label of Pattern watch out, we would all have to say
IMPAC