Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing retention

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Dan G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing retention

How do you retain plug in wings?

I am putting together a third scale cap231, it is composite and has wing tube and incidence dowels. It has been flown by its previous owner with a metal hoop on each wing half which goes into the fus and gets cable tied together. I think this is adequate but I want to move the tank back to the c of g and it would get in the way.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2005, 10:16 AM
mulligan

Default RE: Wing retention

Typically nylon screws are used between the dowels and the tube. Others have used the setup you describe but rather use a couple of rubber bands to hold the wing halves together, which might allow you to pull the rubber bands over the tank and still do the job (versus the cable).

Whatever you do, DO NOT drill a hole in the wing tube and put screws in.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:01 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like Mulligan said, maybe you can replace the metal loops with a nylon bolt?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aviefly

How do you retain plug in wings?

I am putting together a third scale cap231, it is composite and has wing tube and incidence dowels. It has been flown by its previous owner with a metal hoop on each wing half which goes into the fus and gets cable tied together. I think this is adequate but I want to move the tank back to the c of g and it would get in the way.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance
On my Lanier Laser, I made a 3/8" hole saw out of some aluminum tubing. There were holes through the sides of the fuse at a suitable location, just in front of the incidence dowels. I stuck the wing on one side, reached through with the tube/holesaw, and extracted a couple inches of wing foam (it's a sheeted foam wing.) Same for the other side.

Then, I bought a package of toilet seat bolts, which come with plastic wing nuts. Removed the head from the bolt, epoxied the bolt into the foam, and let it cure. The bolt slides right into the fuselage, and I snug the wing nut down on it when assembling at the field.

You could do something similar, even if your wing has no core.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 01-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Dan G

Toilet seat bolt thats the answer for it.
Great idea it's perfect the wings and the big flat bottom area to spread the load.
I fitted a toilet seat at home the other week and it never clicked.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Kaos Rulz

Scar,

That's a great idea. I like the idea of a wing nut applied to a stud versus a bolt into the wing. Anything to make assembly at the field easier is the way to go! [8D]

Nice Post