Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to remove CA hinges?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to remove CA hinges?

Old 03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Prawnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove CA hinges?

Building my LT-40, seems I have the hinge-gap set too narrow. I can't quite get my 3/8" travel like I want, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove c/a hinges? Besides using a razorblade?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:11 PM
touch and go
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: How to remove CA hinges?

Sorry, use a razorblade; cut through them, then cut off the protruding edges and then install new ones right next to where the original ones were.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, once they are in, they're IN
Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Well...at least we hope so while the plane is flying!
Old 03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Well...at least we hope so while the plane is flying!
That's Murphy's Laws at work. When you want them to stay in they pull out, when you want to get them out you can't!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Prawnik

What I was afraid of.

Since I don't have as much throw in the ailerons as I'd like, I am thinking of leaving the c/a hinges in and attaching clear packing tape over the hinge gap, in an attempt to at least make the existing hinges more efficient.

Think that might work?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Sealing the gaps won't give you any more throw, but they will definately improve performance. It's not really hard to cut and rehinge the surface, it just takes a little bit of time. If you don't have enough throw then you might want to remove surface and reshape it so you have more throw.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Prawnik

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Sealing the gaps won't give you any more throw, but they will definately improve performance. It's not really hard to cut and rehinge the surface, it just takes a little bit of time. If you don't have enough throw then you might want to remove surface and reshape it so you have more throw.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Ken and everyone.

I'm sure the re-hinging is do-able, just sounds like a royal pain, since the wing is covered and I'd prefer not to de-cover it. So if it comes down to it, I'll use hinge points and not c/a hinges.

Of course, this is a trainer, so I don't need a huge amount of control surface performance. Not like it will be doing a lot of axial rolls.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:34 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

I cut them flush with the control surface and TE, and then use the Great Planes Electric Hinge Cutter. Put the blades right in the center of the old hinge, and put the hammer down, it works nice. I replace them with the thicker Du-bro pinned style hinges, so it works good even if the hinge slot is a bit larger due to cutting through the old hinge. New CA Style go right back in too, and work good again. Little buggers stay in there real good. Good Luck.

If you want to use hinge points, just drill them out, will work just fine even with the plane covered, wouldn't take long at all.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:34 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: BigSkyRCer

If you want to use hinge points, just drill them out, will work just fine even with the plane covered, wouldn't take long at all.
I can't agree more. Try the hinge points and you won't ever look at CA hinges again. The installation instructions for hinge points can be a little intimidating at first, but practice on some scrap wood first. After you first plane that you use hinge points on, you will use them on everything.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Daryl_y

Before you go ahead and cut out your hinges check something first flex your control surface and find out where your alerion is interfering. It it may be in just 1 or 2 places (due to you bevel not being straight) if thats the case you won't have to remove your hinges just remove a litte more mat'l from that area,