Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Whoops...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 AM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoops...

I just recently started trying Gorilla Glue in my building and turns out that I built up most of a wing on my Pete-n-Poke kit until i realized i wasnt dampin one side of the wood. Do you think it'll be okay. It feels like a strong join but I'll difer to the experts. Thanks

Khlash
Old 05-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whoops...

Poly glue doesn't HAVE to be pre moistened. It uses the moisture in the air to cure. Misting only ACCELARATES the cure process. As long as the glue cured hard, you are in good shape. If the balsa is too thin, misting it can warp it, so keep the misting to thicker balsa and plywood for structural building. This doesn't apply to foam core sheeting, of course. Also, save yourself some money next time and use Elmer's probond. Works just as well, 1/3 less the price.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 AM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks....it did dry really hard so I guees im okay. In the instructions it says not to use too much but i noticed where I did use more and left a nice bead on both sides to dry it expanded and left a nice hard gusset reinforcement. I assume it is merely warning that too much on the small peices can cause warpage then? Thanks for the help. you guys are a great help to new builders.

Khlash
Old 05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Deadeye

Just a FYI, I don't bother with poly glue on rib structures and such. I just use Titebond wood glue. I save the polyurethane for firewalls, wing joining, Landing gear, and anywhere you want extra strength, without bothering with epoxy. It's a great epoxy substitute. It's also glow and gas proof. And water proof. And darn near bullet proof.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Poly glues are great but they expand as they cure. I wouldn't use it to sheet wings unless you can evenly apply alot of pressure to the sheeting, as in foam core wings in their shucks.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

Poly glues are great but they expand as they cure. I wouldn't use it to sheet wings unless you can evenly apply alot of pressure to the sheeting, as in foam core wings in their shucks.
Works great, you just have to use shucks as you mentioned, and a heck of a lot of weight.