Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine Thrust angles on low wing planes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine Thrust angles on low wing planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Daryl_y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Thrust angles on low wing planes

I am getting ready to build the fuselage on my Great Planes P-51D Mustang the plans call for 2 degrees of right thrust. While I am planning to build it per plan this seems extreme for a low wing plane. I though wing location was the major factor in determining thrust angles what other factors determine the starting thrust angle for a particular airplane? Although I am not expert this my 6th or 7th kit based on my previous experience thrust angles should be for:

High wing planes:
2 degrees right thrust

Mid wing planes:
straight ahead

Low wing planes
straight ahead or 1 degree down
Old 07-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Thrust angles on low wing planes

I usually set mine to zero, I would rather fight the rudder on the ground as opposed to in the air.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thrust angles are not dependent upon the location of the wing, but how the designer wants the model to handle. All of the relationships in the model, such as areas, moments, weights, and so on dictate the exact design specifics. That includes the position of hte engine.

A thrust angle in the engine is there only to reduce or eliminate trim changes when the power changes. In the case of the Great Planes P-51 40-size, the right thrust was found to be needed to help reduce the left-pulling tendencies. If you build the model dead-stock, it will give you the flight characteristics that are advertised.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A big ditto to everything Bax said.

I had this plane once - build it as the instructions say and you will have one sweet airplane!