Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Anybody try Super Phatic glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Anybody try Super Phatic glue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 01:53 AM
DA2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody try Super Phatic glue?

I just purchased a bottle of alphatic glue from the LHS that sounds too good to be true. As I am alergic to CyA I have been trying to find something to replace it. Although this glue isn't "instant", it appears thin enough that it will wick into balsa and even comes with a heavy duty needle applicator to apply it with. It's suppose to set in 20 minutes and cure in 2 hours. I sure hope it works!
JB
Old 01-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default glues

I think you will find that all alphatic resin glues work very well for most modeling uses. There are many brands, all good. I use Titebond (from the local hardware store) mostly because of its availability, low price, excellent holding power, nearly waterproof etc. but other brands are probably as good. I build mostly 1/4 size using lots of hardwood and it even works well for firewalls and other high stress points--the wood breaks before the glue joint fails.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:01 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried SuperPhatic glue and wasn't impressed w/ its performance. For my money, the best (and fastest setting) aliphatic glue available is Pica's GLUIT glue.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:57 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haave tried superphatic. It was definately different than any other glue that I have tried. It is thin and does wick some, but not quite like a thin CA will wick. Although I never actually timed it, it seemed to take a long time to set (longer than advertised, but I can't say that for sure). It looks kinda like watered down Titebond, but a little different. It is foam safe and I did use it regularly on my combat gremlins until I ran out. I will probably reorder it again, when I run out of enough stuff to order from Hobby Lobby. It is definately strong, but I always seemed to make a mess of it!!! Maybe the learning curve for use is more than one bottle!!!

Jeff
Old 01-12-2002, 07:09 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used this glue on the hinges on a few ARFs and a few 33% aircraft with very good results. I first perfromed a test with the stuff and found it was impossible to pull the glue apart, the wood all gave around the hinge. Very good penetration. I will use it again.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:39 AM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

Default Superphatic

I'm allergic to CA too (even my boss tells me on Fridays not to use CA on weekend).
I used superphatic a lot and the only problem I've encountered was that it's virtually impossible to sand the glue from the surface, even after is completely cures (it always remains rubber-like as old chewing gum).
Old 02-05-2002, 05:40 PM
lparky

Just tried Weldbond on the advise of some of the modelers in Canada and this one super glue. I have had to just about quit using any type CA due to severe lung problems and had been using various kinds of superphatic "white" glues. I think this glue is going to be the best yet. It was a bit hard to find in Charlotte NC but finally found 21 ounces bottles for less than $10. It can be thinned and works well for applying Koverall, etc
For info go to: http://www.franktross.com/
Give this one a try.
Larry
Old 02-07-2002, 03:55 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Super Phatic

DA, you'll get great results with the Super Phatic, you just won't be able to hurry. I built two Sig LT 25s, aBTE Venture 60 and FlyinKing using it on everything except the firewall and wing joining and mounting bulk heads. As Mr. Glavin pointed out it is tenacious.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:09 PM
mitoor/c
My Feedback: (7)

Where can i buy Super Phatic glue?
Old 02-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Superphatic

www.hobby-lobby.c--
Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
RVM

Default RE: Anybody try Super Phatic glue?

Let's resurrect an old thread...

Are there any other distributors for Super Phatic glue besides Hobby Lobby?

This stuff is rather expensive for an aliphatic - $7.90 + $7.xx shipping for only 50mL. I guess if I buy from Hobby Lobby I'd better buy like 10 bottles at a time.