Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Buddy Box Advice Please

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Buddy Box Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Spiritwind
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy Box Advice Please

Hi all,
I have been flying RC for over 25 years. I taught myself to fly back then as I din't know anyone who flew RC. When I started it only made sense to me to set up the elevator on the transmitter as, push up on the elevator stick to make the plane go up, and pull down on the stick to make it go down. This is how I have always flown my elevator contol.
Now, I know that is backwards of everyone else in the world, but here is my problem that I have run into.
I want to fly a turbine jet. AMA requires you to buddy box your first 5 flights to get a turbine waiver. Here is my problem. How can I buddy box with a jet instructor when I fly the elevator backwards.
Is there any way that I can still fly my way and the instructor fly his normal way while on the buddy box?? If not I would have to relearn how to fly with elevator different.
I'm open to any and all suggestions guys, and thanks in advance....Mike
[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-10-2006, 08:50 PM
nickj

Default RE: Buddy Box Advice Please

Yes, the reversing switches can be set opposite on the transmitting and buddy transmitters. But still. . . the whole idea makes me nervous.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:53 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Mike,
I hate too say it.
But, the best solution is for you to learn to pull up and push down.
Use a simulator. It will probably save you many hours of repairs!

Doug
Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

If it can be set opposite on the buddy box I dont see why its a big deal. I might try the system out on a trainer or other less important aircraft to make sure it works fine.

If you have been flying that way for 25 years I bet it will be very hard to switch. Maybe in normal flying you might be fine but I bet as soon as you get into a little bit of trouble and your reflexes take over they will revert what you have been doing for over 25 years!

I dont see why its a big deal, lots of folks fly with the rudder, aileron, elevator on different sides of the TX. Theres not anything wrong with flying the elevator like you have it, its just different.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 AM
firstplaceaviator

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

If it can be set opposite on the buddy box I dont see why its a big deal.

If you have been flying that way for 25 years I bet it will be very hard to switch. Maybe in normal flying you might be fine but I bet as soon as you get into a little bit of trouble and your reflexes take over they will revert what you have been doing for over 25 years!

I dont see why its a big deal, lots of folks fly with the rudder, aileron, elevator on different sides of the TX. Theres not anything wrong with flying the elevator like you have it, its just different.
Gringo Flyer,
True, There are Mode one and mode two flyers. There are also thumb flyers and thumb and forefinger flyers.
But one thing is for sure, regardless of wich mode is used. Every aircraft, be it a model or full scale, the pilot PULLS on the elevator to go up and PUSHES to go down.

I flew with just my thumbs for over a decade.
Then, I trained myself to fly with my thumbs and fingers. I fly much more precisely this way.

Also, I learned to fly helicopters after flying planes for 20 years. If I let my "plane" habits come out while flying a heli, I would surely crash!
My point is that old habits must sometimes die in order to learn new ones.

For Mike, Learning to fly the correct way will open new opportunities. He will be able to let other modelers fly his planes. Other modelers will let him fly their planes. And, it will keep the other flyers from ridiculing him for being different.

C'mon Mike, learn to fly like a full scale pilot. Pull UP and Push Down!

Good Luck, Doug

Old 06-11-2006, 05:18 PM
nickj

Doug and Gringo both make compelling arguments. If it were me, I'd probably keep doing it the same way I'd always done it. Who cares how anyone else does it? And anyone could still fly my plane--takes half a second to flip a reversing switch. But as I said, the whole thing makes me a little nervous.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:49 PM
campbec

Hi Mike,

We have a bloke in our club that flys with the same set up you have. I only found out when he asked me if I would like to fly his foam 3D electric and passed me the transmitter. I found that I could only fly inverted, this was after at least three near disasters in the first few seconds. Thank God it flew slowly

I would "stick to the devil you know" and set up the buddy box so you don't terrify the check pilot.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 06-12-2006, 05:39 AM
jetmech05

I think if he tried to teach himself to pull up and push down after 25 yrs he'd lose more planes, and put more people at risk.
Since we in rc dont fly with a co-pilot at the controls with us Well leve him alone...... So my friend use the rev. switch and good luck with turbines
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Spiritwind
My Feedback: (44)

Well, guys thanks for the input. The only problem is the guys at the jet club that would be the check pilot says there is no way to set up the buddy box so I can fly my way and him his way. I don't know as I have never used the system before.
At this point I'm fairly successful at flying down as up on a simulator, but it is challenging. I'll just have to see how it goes, I'll probably end up looking like the smiley..Thanks again...
[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM
KW_Counter

Spiritwind,
I lived in Indonesia for a couple of years where they drive on the other side of the road.
The thought of driving there scared the daylights out of me - especially if I got into a tight situation.
I know people who have done it, more power to them.
STICK WITH WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH!!!
As to the servo reversing IT WORKS. I've seen problems occur because the main and buddy box were different.
If you have your own buddy box check it out.
If your instructor says it can't be done - I'd find a new instructor, one who knows what he is doing!
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 06-12-2006, 04:19 PM
firstplaceaviator

Mike,
You taught yourself to fly R/C, That is a heck of an accomplishment!
You will surely get the hang of flying like the rest of us. Just keep practicing on the simulator.
Good Luck, and lets see some pics of your jet when you get her done.

I'm out!
Doug
Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
nickj

KW_Counter is correct. First thing you do when you hook up a buddy box is to make sure the reversing switches are in sync. Your check pilot may simply be reluctant to do it. I know I would.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

AMA requires you to buddy box your first 5 flights to get a turbine waiver. Here is my problem. How can I buddy box with a jet instructor when I fly the elevator backwards.
That is soooo not true. You may obtain your turbine waiver without having to buddy box with anyone. In fact, you don't even have to fly a jet for the demonstration flights! You can fly, to quote the AMA, "The qualification flight will be performed with a model capable of sustained speeds of 100MPH or higher". That can be any fast prop plane that you have flown at least 50 times prior to your qualification/demonstration flight.

Having said that, the only mention of buddy boxing is in order to fly a turbine jet before you fly the turbine qualification flight with a turbine powered jet. There is no mention of 5 flights before you get the waiver. In fact the AMA says the number of buddy box flights before the "instructor" releases you for your demonstration flight (again, only applicable if you are determined to do your qual flight with a turbine jet) is at the instructor's discretion. Could be two flights or it could be 20.

The only mention of 5 flights is a requirement that your first 5 solo flights (with a turbine powered jet) "shall be supervised by an experienced turbine pilot". There is no mention of buddy boxing for these first 5 solo flights.

So, my advice to you is not to make this process harder for you than what is necessary. Do your demonstration flight with a fast prop plane.

To verify my comments made above, go here and have a good look at the lower part of page three and all of page 4:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/510-A.pdf
Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Spiritwind

Well, guys thanks for the input. The only problem is the guys at the jet club that would be the check pilot says there is no way to set up the buddy box so I can fly my way and him his way. I don't know as I have never used the system before..[sm=bananahead.gif]
I wouldnt just take his word for it I would try to set it up myself and then go and show it to him. Just bc he has never done it doesnt mean that it cant be done!

Since you are getting into jets you have a whole new set of skills to learn, why make such a major change in the way you have been flying for 25 years in addition to learning to fly jets?

If you are absolutely decided to change your elevator control I would probably put the jet on the backburner for a bit and take several months or more flying all my other planes with the control changed in order to get used to it.

But those are just my opinions.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 AM
luv2fly62
My Feedback: (4)

I have been teaching my daughter to fly a trainer on a buddy box, the master radio is a futaba 6ch computer, and the buddy box is a 4ch conquest (futaba also) when i transfer control to her, the buddy box that is, the plane flys off of the buddy box settings including , trim, and servo reversing, not 100% but will check it out later today and let you know but i think i loose the programing from the master radio like expo, end point adj. mixing, ect.
let you know what i find later: mike t
Old 06-21-2006, 04:06 PM
gbrandt1
My Feedback: (1)

Turn the radio upside down with the antenna pointing down at the ground and be done with it....whats the big deal....youre going to turn the thing into a yard dart eventually !!!