Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuel proof paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel proof paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 PM
girthdenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel proof paint

Besides Lustercote, what spray paints are "fuel proof"?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 07:46 PM
BSARGE

Default RE: fuel proof paint

I believe rustoleum is fuel proof, I have used it with 10% and haven't had any problems
Old 06-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultracote paint (Ultracote is an enamel base, Lusterkote is a lacquer base - see compatibility below), SOME Rustoleum colors (but not all of them), MOST Dupli-Color "Truck & Van" paint (if it states on the can ACRYLIC lacquer/enamel 99% of it is USUALLY fuel proof. Definitely Silver/Aluminum - Be careful of compatibility- you can put enamel over lacquer, but not the other way)

These are the spray cans I am aware of.

For a spray gun: 2 part automotive paints, 2 part epoxy paints, GlassKote paint (2 part similar to the old K&B hobbypoxy)
Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 PM
onepern

this is what I received form Rust-Oleum when i asked them about there paint.
Danny
I have used the Stops Rust Protective Enamels on both Monocoat and Ultracoat with good results .Make sure the covering is cleaned well with rubbing alcohol then scuffed well with 0000 steel wool. I do not recommend using the Rust-Oleum Clears. I have used both the Monocoat and the Ultracoat clears over the Stops Rust products with good results. I have run up to 15% nitro without any problems with the coating. Make sure you allow the finish to completely cure (can take up to a month depending on the conditions) before firing the engine up. http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=18&SBL=1

Safe landings
Jon B.
Product Support Group
Rust-Oleum Corporation 11 Hawthorn Parkway Vernon Hills, IL 60061 Ph (877) 385.8155 Fax (847) 816.2330 MSDS:www.rustoleum.com VirtualSolutions
Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

If you are building a glow fuel model you could use the Waly-World spray paint with or without their clear overcoat. The WW clear overcoat could also be used to seal latex. If the model is gas then you might want to consider using clear polyurethane depending upon the model color. I understand that yellowing may occure, although I have not experienced this myself.

Hope this is useful,

JEB

Should have mentioned that the model in my avatar is covered in Solartex and sealed with Minwax Polyurethane Satin Clear.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I have had good luck with Rustoleum, DupliColor, and Krylon. The normal colors are good, but I've had problems with their metallics and clears which I would stay away from. I have had very good luck with KlassKote (inexpensive two part epoxy), see my sig for link.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:15 PM
girthdenton

Thanks, I went with Rust-O-leum. But I will remember all the suggestions for the next project.