Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

evolution 1.00nx

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

evolution 1.00nx

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:46 AM
lefnut
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evolution 1.00nx

i got a evolution 1.00 in a 540 edge with a pitts stile muffler and when i start it up it runs good but when i hold it up and down it dies on me i keep riching it up but i thought if i went to much more with the needle valve it wood fall out of the engine could some one tell me what i am doing wroung.thanks lefnut
Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Default RE: evolution 1.00nx

Is it new?Make sure the low end is set as well.I had to take off the limiters on high and low needles to get mine dialed in.It is very reliable after it is broke in.Also very loud.I am having to do something to mine because of noise complaints.Running the stock muff.Did your stock muffler have a baffle in it.Mine don't,was wondering if the factory left it out.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:40 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just been instructing a guy who put one of those on his "trainer". He has been jumping through hoops trying to get the thing to run reliably.

He has helicopter experience and is comfortable working with engines but this one has been a trial. Removing the limiters didn't work. It would finally take a setting but would start to surge. It turns out that the optional needle location setup was killing the settings.

You can use the remote needle arrangement or pull a fitting and put the needle in the carb. The engine came with the remote needle setup I think. And it turned out that the fitting in the carb that was supposed to seal the unused needle structure hole leaked. It was just a wide headed bolt with a tiny, badly cut, flat "plastic" washer. The washer was supposed to seal the bolt hole. It was crinkled, too narrow, and not flexible worth spit. When he moved the needle to the carb and threw away that "seal" the engine ran better, but now it seems the low speed needle might be a problem. We've only just messed with it a short while (maybe a half-hour) and it seemed to be in the right range, but a good ground setting doesn't work that way in the air. I'm not positive the engine has broken in good enough or if there is a leak somewhere else. But it's been a major pain so far. I'm guessing there is still something wrong with that engine because it really doesn't seem to have the power for that Funtana90. I've only had the opportunity to check the headbolts, no time for a full checkup. BTW, one headbolt was took a quarter turn. The rest were tight.

The guy is learning on a Funtana90. No lie. It's his first airplane. But he's doing great. Only problem is that we've only gotten one engine run good enough that I had him do landing approaches. He did a couple of decent approaches and one good landing. Every other flight, I landed the sucker deadstick.

I've dealt with a couple of Evolutions on the P51 trainer and they weren't anything to brag about until the limiters were removed. They worked out good after that. But this 100 has ruined that record for Evolutions as far as I've seen.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Darock,I forgot about the plug in the side where the needle goes.Mine blowed out on maiden.I found a bolt to fit and then installed with teflon tape.No more problem.I am pulling a 60 size Big Stik like a mad man with mine,lots of power.Running a MA 14x6. Lefnut,be sure to check the side plug for air leaks.Also had to replace the carb draw bar,it come loose on third flight. I used loctite on the new one and problem solved.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:19 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

You've more than likely got an airleak somewhere. Find it, fix it, and you will be extremely happy with this engine. Mine is rock solid. Some other possible solutions (as mentioned above)--maybe there isn't enough backpressure--although I'm running mine with a bisson pitts as well. Maybe your tank is too low--who knows. Good luck...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:38 PM
lefnut

will i have plugged one of the holes on the pitt muffler and i checked the carb to make sure the o ring was there and it was im going to check that nut to see if its got leaks around it i will let you guys know what i find out.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:15 PM
lefnut

will i did that to the engine and fired it up to day and let it warm up a bit then held it into the air and it ran like a top it still might need a little more tuning but the problem is solved thanks guys for the help. lefnut
Old 07-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

I have had this exact problem ith this engine... it gave me fits for months!!! Your problem is exactly like mine was... it is the pitts muffler. It is a case of not enough back pressure. I even replaced the motor before I figured it out, as I could not get rid of the problem. New one did the same thing. I them gently crimped the exhaust outlets on the pitts muffler to a nice looking long oval shape. What a difference!! Totally cured!! Fearing I may have closed them too far(& lost power),I then ran it at full throttle and CAREFULLY opened them gently with a flat blade screwdriver until max rpm was just attained. I'm telling you, I solved ALL problems. Now it screams like I can't believe. This engine is a beast for its size. Now I have to get another airplane for the spare engine!!!

Try to reduce the exhaust area at the outlet... it worked for me. Good luck
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I run mine with a pitts, and my brother runs his with a pitts, and we have not problems at all. He was having problems with his at first, but it was fuel tank positioning. Once we fixed that, it was all in the tuning--mainly low end. You have to remove the limiters to get it right. Of course, air leaks here and there will give you fits, but not enough backpressure will not be a problem. If that is a problem, then your real problem is fuel tank position. With proper tank to carb centerlines, you don't even need backpressure. However, we rarely get that in our models, so we rely upon the backpressure to help push the fuel to the carb. I'd bet if you raised your tank slightly, you wouldn't have needed that much backpressure to get positive fuel flow.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

Did the Pitts mufflers quiten down the engine?I am running stock muff and am getting complaints.Gotta do something.I tried a couple of different props because of someones sugestion at the field.That only decreased the performance but didn't help with the noise.(I like the way it screams!)Unlimited vertical pull out on the Big Stik 60.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

2slow,
Don't get me wrong here as I don't mean to argue, but changing the tank/ carb alignment slightly(assuming it is wrong in the first place)will not fix the problem in his case. Come, let me tell my tales of woe...

I have tried all conceivable combinations- tank high, tank low, tank level...big tubing, small tubing, no tubing... all to no avail. I must say you are fortunate to not have this problem with your setup!!! But according to lefnut's description(and his solution), lack of back pressure is most certainly the cause. It runs fine when it is level, dies nose up or down, needle valve mostly out, etc. If it was anything more than a teeny tiny air leak, then his and my engines would still be having problems. I would still check for them, however... especially the carb plug, base, amd clamp. It would be even worse to have both problems going on!
Depending on what pitts/ engine combo you use, you can run into a problem of too little back pressure sometimes. The outlets are not always carefully sized or tested in development. I am not saying that it will always be the case, but it was the problem with both of my new Evolution engines when used with a pitts (Bisson brand). The ran great with the stock muffler, both in the plane and on the stand, but the pitts gave it trouble. With the pitts it would run in a level position as you said it would, but as soon as I tipped the nose up or down it would lean out or flood, respectively, and die. It acted exactly like what happens when your muffler pressure line is disconnected. And to get it to run in a level position the needle valve would be almost comletely out! The fuel tank position was correct, and there were no leaks. It did the same on a test mount. The fuel draw is just poor on these engines without pressure... probably something to do with that remote needle setup. After replacing and moving around various fuel system components and checking for leaks(even tried a fuel pump), I finally consulted the manufacturer of the pitts muffler. They stated that back pressure was probably insufficient for and suggested plugging one outlet and checking the result. That confirmed it for me. I didn't plug it though, I just crimped 'em down somewhat. Now after all this I have not had a single deadstick and it has amazing power... it pulls my p-40 like crazy, scaring me and anyone in the area. Oh yeah, it is pretty loud. No baffle was in the stock muffler was found.

For the record, I was just letting y'all know my personal experiences with these engines, and I don't mean to offend or claim to be a super glow god know it all. I wish I was... I would have figured it out before a million deadsticks and yanking all of my hair out! FLY SAFE and HAVE FUN

whew! long post sorry
Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 PM
opjose

Same problem here with the Evo 100NX and Pitts muffler.

Same solution too.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:58 PM
hello jim

hi, guys i got the same as said by you all, i spent two years on and off troubleshot the problem, finally i have found the fix for mine. there were two problems that i have spotted on mine. one is the fitting in the carburator thatlead to the high speed needle valve and the one mounted on the carburator itself . those fittings are loose and the washer that came with not sealed good the air leak into bubling in the low speed and fuel dripped on and off. i jbweld those also change my silicone tubing into the medium size for tightened grip onto the fittings. i used prop 16x4 apc high rpm reached 9500 and the low speed in the range 2000rpm. i flew my harrier with great success.

jim s
Old 04-08-2007, 02:23 PM
redipsekud
My Feedback: (6)

now dont laugh,but just to see if it would work,i put a supre tigre .61 carb on mine{cause i havnt had very good luck with this engine]AND LO AND BEHOLD the damn thing fired right up,tweeked it a little,and after 2 tanks of Byron 15%, it seems to run pretty good,
thats on the bench.
Ive lost 2 planes to this engine[DEADSTICKS ARE HARD SOMTIMES}
Mostly my fault cause i flew knowing that this engine is unreliable
But im gonna give it another shot.