Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flaps-switch or dial?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flaps-switch or dial?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flaps-switch or dial?

How do you set your flaps up, switch or a dial? My 8UAF will apparently allow only 2 'down' positions on one 3 position switch, up, down, and downer! The dial would allow a more infinite selection. I see advantages to both. I'm rigging a Ziroli 'Stuka' and trying to decide which route to go. If I use a switch, what's a good degree of throw to program in for starters. Any thoughts? Bill
Old 07-26-2006, 09:04 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flaps-switch or dial?

Let me know if this is a stupid idea

I've thought about a flap throttle mix (use a switch to enable the mix)

50-100% on the stick would be idle to full throttle with 0% flaps
0-50% on the stick would have the throttle at idle and progresivly deploy the flaps as you go to 0%
or some variation on that mix.

this would allow some easy flap control and still let you pull em in and power out in 1 easy movement.

the only trick would be to remember to enable the mix at full throttle

The last thing I want to mess with during an approach is fiddling with a knob.

Another idea (I don't know if you can do this) is set the ammount of deployment with the knob and the accual deployment with a switch.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
broke_n_bummin

I guess it all depends on what you want the flaps for. If you need them to take off or land on a short TARMAC, I'd say use the dial, and use the 6 -> 2 mixing. If you need them for certain maneuvers, the switch would be the better option. Up, flaps up, center - cnter, and down flaps down. or, with your 8UAF, you could do both, and just use the one you need at the moment.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 PM
bbbair

Personally; I find the extra switch just one more thing to worry about when I'm concentrating on my AC.

If you must use flaps I'd suggest the 3 position switch- it's quick and easy - no guessing when you are looking at your AC and fiddling with a knob that you cannot see.

I have two planes with flaps - P51D and a S Chipmunk - after the first few fights - I have no use for the flaps. The planes take off and land perfectly without them.

Other than scale appearance - I have no use for Flaps.

IMHO
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Tall Paul

On my 6XA transmitters, I put a "feeler" pointer on the channel 6 knob... I use it for flaps, or rotating a camera.
Don't have to look down to see where it is. Just remember which direction does what..
Stupid program won't let me upload the picture!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Futaba 9C and I use a knob that is just up and right from the left stick. That way I can adjust it with my left hand while I fly with the right. I have gotten used to it now but if I was doing it over I would probably use a 3-position switch. Easier to use without taking your eyes off the plane. I only use approximately 2 different flap-down positions anyway; about 15 degrees down for landing in a headwind, and about 25-30 degrees down for little or no wind. I guess a lot depends on the plane and how it flies. I have a Pica 1/6th Spitfire and it flies great.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a 3-position switch for the flaps on my JR9303 and slow down the flap servos in the radio so they drop down slowly like those on the full size. Flaps make landing so much easier and more enjoyable. I will never ever land a warbird again without using flaps. Landing a 20-30# warbird without using flaps is asking for trouble.

Some landing videos with full flaps:

* [link=http://www.warbirdobsession.com/wm_gs_zero/video/landing03.wmv]World Models GS Zero[/link]
* [link=http://www.warbirdobsession.com/tf_p40/movies/landing.wmv]Top Flite P-40E[/link]
* [link=http://www.warbirdobsession.com/swift_p47/landing.wmv]Top Flite GS P-47D[/link]
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Great videos, Richard, I particularly like the P-47 landing. Looks like it lands slightly faster than a Cub. How big is the plane? What kind of throws are on the flaps, and how much delay? Great looking plane!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Richard L.

Those plane will land much faster without flaps. Any plane will land faster than a Cub. The P-47 has an 85" winspan and weighs around 21 lbs. My flaps are set to max throw, usually 40-45 degrees. Delay is 1.5 seconds to mid and another 1.5 seconds to full. More videos on the P-47 and the other planes can be found on my website.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
BillS

I have a 8UAP and have always used the knob. It is not terribly difficult to experiment with knob and then with a switch. In the end it will be a personal preference anyway.

Bill
Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 AM
scratchonly

I have tried both on a scale beaver. Three position switch hands down; you shoud not need any finer adjustment. We have enough to do on takeoff and landing. I use half for takeoff and full for landing. Don't notice much effect on my 40 size spitfire.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I have a pica 1/8 T28 and I can't get the hang of landing that thing. I do have flaps on her, but I haven't started to really use them yet, as when I activate them, , the plane tips the wing to the right. Pretty sure they are not deploying evenly. I have ripped the nose gear and/or wheel off a couple times, because when you cut the throttle, it drops like a rock. I try and bring it in fairly quick and flare, but sometimes it'll stall a couple feet above the ground. I don't quite understand the aerodynamics of flaps. They slow the plane down, right? In my case, I can't go any slower w/o flaps, so deploying flaps would seem to make things worse. A guy at the field mentioned that flaps help to stabilize the plane and of course helps when making a steep approach, which I try not to do. can someone elaborate on this? Definately my hardest plane to fly out of the fleet.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Richard L.

When used "properly", flaps help a lot on landing and save the retracts/retract mounts. First of all, NEVER EVER cut the throttle when using flaps unless the plane is a foot or two above the runway. ALWAYS fly the plane in. Even though the plane will come in under power, it will fly slower. Of course, flaps slow down the plane (watch the three landing videos posted above). Ever been in a jetliner when the flaps are deployed? Flaps do help stabilize the plane. You drop full flaps and let the plane descent down (use the throttle and not the elevator to control the rate of descent and glide angle). Try to stay off the elevator. Once the plane is a few feet above the runway, then chop the throttle and use the elevator to flare.

The T28 have got to be the easiest plane to fly and land. Please go back and watch the three landing videos posted above. When flaps are "properly" used, they are your best friends.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Tall Paul

The T-28 has a high wing loading.
It -can't- fly slowly!
What the flaps are supposed to do is steepen the descent without gaining airspeed.
Trying to float it can't work.
Keep the power on until you really want to touch down.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:57 PM
jzinckgra

hey tall paul, didn't you used to be in the lawn dart club back in sturbridge, ma?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Tall Paul

Never been there.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The three position switch works great for touch and goes. Just click them up and pour on the coal and your off. The knob takes a second longer to get the flaps back up.
My newer radios don't have 3 position switches, so I am forced to use the knob. It is nice when you are lowering the flaps, you can roll them in gently. My T28 walks in at a ridiculously slow speed, but it is rock solid stable. Its like watching a movie.
I wish I could use a knob to lower them, and then hit a switch to retract them.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 3-position switch has always worked for me for a couple of reasons.

I've never wanted anything more than a takeoff position and a landing position. OK, I have also wanted an OFF position. So 3 positions have been adequate for use. It's not difficult to figure out a starting position for the two flight modes. And then it's dead simple to test if they're good positions. When you're testing, you know absolutely what the deflection is on the airplane, so if it isn't good enough, which way, and about how much, to change it on the airplane.

It's also very easy to visually check the switch on the TX to see that the flaps are up. And you can also check by hand without taking your eyes off the airplane to see if you've got landing set or takeoff or OFF. With a dial, that ain't so easy to do without taking your eyes off the airplane.

I found out flying gliders that screwing around with infinite flap positions is just that, screwing around. I wound up botching too many landings from diddling with that dial instead of flying the airplane. With a switch, while I'm flying the airplane, I flip the sucker, and keep on flying the airplane. I know exactly where the flaps went to, and know what to expect from the airplane. With the dial, I was constantly trying to guess if I'd deployed enough or too much or too little and trying to figure if the plane was flying like it was because I'd turned the dial too much or too little or if it was the wind doing all that to the airplane or if I had too much elevator or if ....... thunk!

With a switch that never happened. Flipped it and flew on in........
Old 07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

One other option that you have for your particular transmitter is to use the rotary dial with a co pilot for a few flights and then transfer that setting to a flip switch.
My experience has been that with few exceptions you either use the full down position which has been previously determined as optimum or you do not use anything. I do fly in the Southwest where 15 to 20 mph head winds and cross winds are the norm. Many times flaps are not necessary and in some crosswinds they are a setup for a disaster.
Check my gallery for the size and type of warbirds that I am flying.
ORIGINAL: wsmalley

How do you set your flaps up, switch or a dial? My 8UAF will apparently allow only 2 'down' positions on one 3 position switch, up, down, and downer! The dial would allow a more infinite selection. I see advantages to both. I'm rigging a Ziroli 'Stuka' and trying to decide which route to go. If I use a switch, what's a good degree of throw to program in for starters. Any thoughts? Bill
Old 07-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

I must be the oddball I guess. I use a 9c and use the VR(varuable rate) slider with my left forefinger. I like to ease the flaps down and back up rather then have 3 fixed positions.

Warren
Old 07-27-2006, 07:44 PM
jzinckgra

My T28 walks in at a ridiculously slow speed, but it is rock solid stable. Its like watching a movie.
I wish I could use a knob to lower them, and then hit a switch to retract them.
Is that the 1/8 T28 or 1/5? Also, how much flaps (in degrees) should there be at max. deployment? I think I need to cut mine off and bevel the edges some more. I should clarify- my T28 is a breeze to fly, but a challenge to land. We also have a grass field FWIW.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fly a Ziroli Corsair and a Hostetler PT-19. For both planes I use channel 6 (knob) for the flaps. Flaps are used only for landing and are fully up or fully down depending on the wind. On both planes I mix in a few degrees of down elevator with full down flaps to counteract the ballooning effect of full flaps. I would much rather pull back on the stick when landing than push forward. Just personal preference I guess. With the flaps fully down the servos are setup to operate at their maximum mechanical advantage, that is, minimum current. My transmitter is a Futaba 8UAFS.