Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Hardware Selection Question. >

Hardware Selection Question.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hardware Selection Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:48 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardware Selection Question.

Hi!

What I am about to do is building from drawings (I call it scratch building). And as always have hard times figuring out the proper size of hardware. I have got a drawing for P-47 THUNDERBOLT with the following specs

Wingspan: 61" / 1550 mm
Engine: .61 2-strokes
Radio: 4 function + aux.

Featured in: RCMW SEPTEMBER 1993

I am planning for penumatic retracts, flaps, fixed dummy pumbs and machine guns, dummy tank and probably pilot figure.

I was lucky enough to find canopy and FG cowl. I stumbled at selecting pilot figure, dummy pumbs and machine guns and retracts.

I'll probably go with penumatic main retracts from Robart for 5 to 10 lb and mechanical taile steerable retract for the same weight I don't know if this is a good selection or at least if it's gonna fit!

The question in short, the sizes of the model all manufacturers refere to is by 1/x (x can be 2, 3, 4...etc) or by the engine size like size 60 or by the weight like the retracts. Could any one help me on what size the plans I have are?. Also, do you have recommendations on some specific hardware for such size a plane (hinges, pushrods, cleavises, retracts, pilot figures...etc.) as I have never build any thing larger than 40 size planes.

Thanks,

Azzam
Old 08-05-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hardware Selection Question.

your model is about 1/8 scale,hardware to use should be specified on the plans but there is not much difference between hinges[pinned nylon] from .40 size to.60 size.you do not need giant scale size.standard sizes will work,your choices are du-bro,robart and great planes and others from different countries.good luck
Old 08-05-2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks aerowoof.

I wish me good luck too

I'll make sure to remember 1/8 scale, 10 lb and .61 when I make any order.

Azzam
Old 08-05-2006, 12:50 PM

Just for future reference:

The wingspan is your model is 61", or 5 ft, 1 in. The wingspan of the full size P-47 is 40 ft 9.75 in (according to a quick Google search). Dividing 5 ft (model) by 40 ft (full scale) gives you the scale of your model, which equals 1/8. Hope this helps!
Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 PM

Your plane will likely weigh more than 10 pounds. Use retracts for 10 pounds and up not 10 pounds and down. I worked for two years in Saudi, we flew in the desert outside of Jeddah. How is everything over there? Can you get glow fuel there? If not look into deisel conversion.

Again, good luck.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Spitfire222,

Nice name I might build it sometimes That's logic and I know it!! I don't know why sometimes you just don't think straight and keep saying 'how on earth didn't I think about that' Thanks.

Scratchhonly,

More than ten pounds! that's heavy. Fuel is not a delima as it was three yeats back it is not easy though I have enough for my cars but nothing for planes as I have just finished scratch building my first glow plane after quitting glow for three years (I fly electric planes) and will start scratch building the P-47 hopefully couple of weeks from today during that time I can arrange some fuel. Diesel conversion is interesting I'll run a search here.

I've never seen the flying site in Jeddah but I always have the feeling that it's on the beatch. Everything is great here in Saudi except that it was always above 110 F and windy

Any info on a good online store for scale goggles like dummy machine guns, dummy belly tank... etc

Thanks for being so helpful guys I appreciate it.

Azzam

Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 AM

ORIGINAL: phantom_najd

Hi!

What I am about to do is building from drawings (I call it scratch building). And as always have hard times figuring out the proper size of hardware. I have got a drawing for P-47 THUNDERBOLT with the following specs

Wingspan: 61" / 1550 mm
Engine: .61 2-strokes
Radio: 4 function + aux.

Featured in: RCMW SEPTEMBER 1993

I am planning for penumatic retracts, flaps, fixed dummy pumbs and machine guns, dummy tank and probably pilot figure.

I was lucky enough to find canopy and FG cowl. I stumbled at selecting pilot figure, dummy pumbs and machine guns and retracts.

I think RCMW still maintaining back issues, there will be much details describing this airplane in SEP 1993 issue.

Good luck