Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
rogcjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering

I'm in the process of covering my extra 300. I am wondering how to add 1" stripes, monokote over monokote, without all the bubbles underneath. I was wondering how it would work if I used the great planes woodpecker to perforate the monokote just under the stripes. Would this help with the bubbles? Any other ideas?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:14 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Covering

Monokote on Monokote, just use the Windex method. Use a credit card wrapped with a papertowel to squeeze the excess windex out. Work the bubbles out to the closest edge. After getting most of the windex out and the trim has adhered, tack the corners or any sharp edges down with the covering iron. Don't heat large areas of the trim as this will cause the remaining liquid to bubble.

Brad
Old 10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
campbec

Hi,

What brad said. I also finish the edges with clear nail polish to make certain there isn't any ingress of fuel residue or lifting of the trim in the airflow.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 10-24-2006, 09:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Instead of clear nail polish, go over the edges with a Q-Tip dipped in acetone (Or Nail Polish REMOVER - Which is mostly acetone)
Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 AM
rogcjr

Thanks for the info. I'll give the windex a try.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:06 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your stripes are only one inch wide you can just use your iron to apply. I do it all of the time on a lower heat setting and with a home-made cotton "sock". I just make sure I let the air escape in front of my iron as I go. If the stripes are much wider then the Windex method is better.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:00 PM
acrobatnut

ok i got an arf that has the edges of the covering coming up and it has gotten oil under the seam how can i remove the oil from the wood and make the covering stick and not come back up
Old 11-06-2006, 10:52 AM
MinnFlyer

A lot will depend on what type of covering it is, but in any case, clean the adhesive side of the covering that's lifting AND the area it will be adhered to.

Then try just applying an iron to it. If that doesn't work, try Acetone. And if it still doesn't work, stick it down with some CA
Old 11-08-2006, 04:22 PM
jjharris

I am in the process of recovering a Cub. It was white with red stripes. I got most of the old covering off, but there is some residue. Does anyone know an easy way to get the residue off. I sanded most of it off the fuselage, but am worried about sanding the tail feathers too much.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 AM
MinnFlyer

It depends on what brand of covering it was, but try wiping it with some Acetone first. If that doesn't help, you'll have to go back to sandpaper