Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What your favoirite R/C magazines?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Fly R/C
13.33%
Model Airplane News
18.33%
Model Aviation
16.67%
3D Flyer
0%
R/C report?
30.83%
Flying Models
9.17%
Back Yard Flyer
0%
Other
4.17%
None
7.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

What your favoirite R/C magazines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What your favoirite R/C magazines?

I MESSED UP THE ORIGINAL POLE, I HAVE CHANGED IT TO NOW ALLOW MULTIPLE CHOICES. I DID NOT KNOW I WASN'T ALLOWING THIS WHEN I STARTED THE POLE, SORRY!!

I regularly read most all the magazines, Model Aviation, Model Airplane News, Fly R/C, 3D Flyer, Flying models, etc. since I don't fly electric, yet, I don't read Silent Flight or Back Yard Flyer. I like to build still, kits and scratch, However, none of the magazines really seem to give building much emphasis any more, this is too bad. I guess Model Airplane news and Model Aviation are my favorites, with 3D Flyer and then Fly R/C next. Flying models would be good but seems to lack depth anymore. So, what's your favorite? List ones I haven't, also. I miss Radio Control Modeler (RCM)!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:53 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What magazines do you regularly read and enjoy?

Mode One, thats the mode I fly.

I did not vote because there is not a non of the above option. I used to subscribe to man and rc report but I let the subscriptions laps because I was getting very little bang for my buck.

Joe
Old 11-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Mode One

Good, another mode one guy, good to know! We're getting scarcer then hen's teeth! I took paladen's advice and added "None" to the poll.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 PM
dicknadine

sure a limited choice. asks whats magizines-- plural-- and then gives you one choice. suggest that you start over with plural options. dick
Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Guns N Ammo
Money
Business Solutions
Forbes
Four Wheeler
Smithsonian
Nathional Geographic
Popular Mechanics
Discover
Stocks & Commodities
Ceramics Monthly

Oh, were we talking about RC Magazines? [sm=red_smile.gif] I flip through MA once a month and it usually hits the trashcan about 5 minutes after I receive it. There isn't an RC magazine printed today thats worth the paper it's written on. None of them actually give an honest product review or talk about what interests me.

I wish I had the capital to start my own Giant Scale Aerobatics magazine. Nuthin' but gassers over 80" Nuthin' but scale aerobatic airplanes. No electrics. No glow. No WWII junk. No general aviation scale puddle hoppers. Just Giant Gassers that fly IMAC or 3D type maneuvers. Just a pipe dream. I can't imagine the money it would take to get that off the ground and successful.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

sure a limited choice. asks whats magizines-- plural-- and then gives you one choice. suggest that you start over with plural options. dick
I have changed the pole to allow this, now. Did not know I didn't when I started. Sorry Dick, I did not understand what you were talking about! My bad!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My favorite magazine rarely has much on airplanes, but boy, does it have some great "nose art"[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 11-13-2006, 01:03 AM
fledermaus

I don't read any of the magazines because I just don't care about infomercials for the latest ARF or a fancy radio or engine I can't afford to buy.

This topic has been discussed on RCU before, but I will add just for the record that if SOMEONE would publish I magazine BY BUILDERS FOR BUILDERS I would subscribe in a flash. When was the last time a major RC magazine ran three-views of an interesting plane people might want to scratch build? When was the last discussion of building techniques (not how to glue an ARF together - how to build an airplane)?

Then again, the magazine I want to read is right here on RCU, and on RCScalebuilder and a few other places...
Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Model Airplane News and RcReport. I selected MAN but the poll would not let me select the second Magazine. I sometimes read FlyRC but I'm letting that one expire.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can throw them all in the trash can. There's not a bit of usefull info in the lot. I agree with the majority and I'm hoping that someone from the publishing side of the hobby reads these responses. I get Model Aviation with my AMA membership and that keeps me up on any new products that might be of interest. Otherwise you can take all the ARF assembly and flying reports and put them where the sun doesn't shine. Isn't there a publication that comes from the UK entitled R/C Scale Builder or similar in title that provides the interesting articles that R/C builders yearn for?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:27 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been reading American Modeler lately. Quite an interesting magazine.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM
scratchonly

All of the american mags are nothing more than reviews on barfs, supporting their advertisers and still charging ridiculous prices. Catalogs should be free! Some British mags are OK but terribly expensive here so I vote none.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:27 PM
andrew66

Default RE: What your favoirite R/C magazines?

i vote none b/c all the mags are crap, or too much money, or both! i preferr RCU.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
RVM

R/C Report all the way.

I prefer RCU though.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:45 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mode One, i voted and I think you know how. They call it mode funny here, but they are all gellous because we were first!

My disapointment with the pressent day slate of magazines has been hit buy all the posters to this thread. but we can change it ourselves, the print media is undergoing a revolution were they will soon only apeal to new modelers because they can not keep up with our moods. so we need to take the bull by the horn and do something about it. for the cost of a one year subscription to RCM, Man, and EC Report combined you can buy a digital cammera and keep all of us here at RCU abrest of what you are doing and people that are interested in what you are doing can contact you .

Joe
Old 11-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Mode One

There seems to be a lack of interest in responding, or this poll is in a topic which gets little use. However, it does appear there is a lack of interest in what is currently available in R/C magazines, excepting RCU!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: scratchonly

All of the american mags are nothing more than reviews on barfs, supporting their advertisers and still charging ridiculous prices. Catalogs should be free! Some British mags are OK but terribly expensive here so I vote none.
Sadly, I must agree. This site fills in for me and I no longer buy stand alone R/C magazines.

I get Model Avaition and High Flight (IMAA) as part of my memberships, but I sure miss construction articles and plan sheets where I could actually glean information. Gluing the pre-built stabs on ARFs just doesn't hold my attention very long. Oh well, they have to support the largest audience and that seems to be heading farther and farther into Electric and ARF.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There seems to be a lack of interest in responding, or this poll is in a topic which gets little use. However, it does appear there is a lack of interest in what is currently available in R/C magazines, excepting RCU!]
Or maybe it has been discussed plenty of times before[sm=72_72.gif].

The Brit mags (which I coincendently subscribe too) are may favorite mainly due to the free plans every issue.

Didn't vote since I wasn't given the option. I do like MA fwiw.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Mode One

Sorry, didn't realize the topic had been beaten to death!
Old 11-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Mode One

Taken from the above pole, it would seem that R/C Report is the most popular magazine read. Anyone care to comment of this magazine's content and why it is popular? I have not ever seen it offered in magazine stores.