Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote Technique

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote Technique

Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 PM
fstevenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote Technique

Looking for some advice.

If I am doing a sun ray pattern on the bottom of the wing with red and yellow would you put down all the yellow first then red and have some seams facing the airstream, or put down the pattern from back to front where the seams are all facing aft, but then where the yellow is on top of the red there is bleed through on the covering that distorts the yellow color where there is overlap? Wish I could draw a picture like MinnFlyer, but hopefully you get the jist of what I am asking. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Monokote Technique

If you're using red and yellow, I would put the yellow down first with the red on top (Don't worry about the seams) otherwise the red will bleed through the yellow if it's under it.

If I were doing it I would cover the entire wing with Yellow, then I would cut out large sections under where the red will go and then lay the red on top

BTW, when you're all done, Black pinstripes will really set the colors off
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14907.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	560842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18870.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	560843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57515.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	560844  
Old 11-15-2006, 05:51 PM
fstevenj

What would you use to cut out the sections of yellow(razor blade, no. 11 blade, some other technique), and would you put a straight edge on it to cut a straight line or just hand cut it becuse the red will cover it anyway?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:07 PM
parrthd

a good supply of single edge razor blades, a good straight edge ( best to find a steel straight edge ), and a cutting mat

take extreme care if you cut after the monokote has been applied to the plane. if you cut through the covering and into the wood, you could weaken the structure.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:52 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer " . . . BTW, when you're all done, Black pinstripes will really set the colors off . . . "
I'll ditto MinnFlyer on the pinstripes. It makes it look like a professional job.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80372.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	561017  
Old 11-15-2006, 09:50 PM
fstevenj

Another question in addition to the one above. Would you shrink the yellow covering on the wing before you cut the covering off and applied the red over it?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cover the wing with yellow so that it is a finished covering job (I.E. shrunk and ready to fly)

Next I would draw (With a fine-tip felt marker) where the red is going to be (You can use the red pieces as templates).

Then I would just hand cut the openings with a #11 blade - Leave about 1/2" For the next layer to stick to.

If you look at the videos I did, I show the technique of sticking one covering onto another over open framework in Video #4 (Right after the "Benny Hill" music) where I lay the red tip over the white.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM
fstevenj

Thanks again for your help. I have looked at all your videos and they are very helpful.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM
snys

Hello Minnflyer,

Where can I download the videos?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=67] Minnflyer Covering how-to [/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov1.wmv] Minnflyer Covering video, part 1 [/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov2.wmv] Minnflyer Covering video. part 2 [/link]
[link=http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazine/reviews/352/cov3.wmv] Minnflyer Covering video, part 3 [/link]

newest covering videos
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=726[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken