Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Clear dope substitute?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Clear dope substitute?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear dope substitute?

I am building a Guillow's Hellcat and it calls for Clear Dope. Is there a suitable substitute I can get in a local hardware store or other place besides a hobby shop? (closest LHS is 50 miles out)
Old 12-23-2006, 09:13 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: Clear dope substitute?

Primodus

I get my dope from http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

They also supply fabric covering for much less than any hobby supplier.

Safe Flying!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Primodus

Thanks. But is there any other type of product that would do the same thing...besides dope?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Phlip

If you want to attach tissue covering, you can use a glue stick or thinned white glue (Elmers). Tissue can be shrunk with a light mist of water after the glue has dried, and the tissue can be painted with regular spray paint or left natural color and sealed with a clear spray such as Krylon. This'll be OK as long as your not using a glow powered engine, as none of this is fuel proof. If you're going wet power, you'll need the dope, or use iron-on plastic covering.

Hope this helps,

Phil
Old 12-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Primodus

Thanks Phil. Do you have to seal the wood before covering with tissue? This first one will be for display only since it is only the small size kit. However I have another Guillow's kit, Cessna 170, waiting for an E-conversion. The Hellcat is just warmup for building techniques.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can give the framework a light coat of sanding sealer, which will serve to close the pores in the wood. Make sure to sand lightly with 600 grit wet or dry (dry) after the sealer cures. Remove all lumps and bumps. You can actually mix flour and water to form a thin paste, and attach the tissue with this. Use a small artists brush so that you don't get too much of the paste on the tissue. After the paste has cured, a light mist of water will make the tissue shrink. Do not force dry the tissue, since this will cause puckers near the attachment areas. I was doing this back in the late 40's and early 50's. It's fun.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Phlip

You don't have to seal the wood before covering with tissue, but ir makes for a smoother finish. If your plane is for display, I highly recommend sealing it, since you dont care about weight, but you do care about looks. Thinned white glue will do fine for sealing the wood. Brush it on all outside surfaces, allow it to dry, then sand with very fine sandpaper to remove all of the fuzz and leave you a silky smooth surface.

I recommend the glue stick for attaching tissue dry. The one I've had the most success with is the Avery brand. It's a yellow and pink label. It has sufficient "tack" to hold the tissue in place, but dries slowly enough that you can make adjustments and smooth out wrinkles. Trim the edges, i. e. the leading and trailing edges with sandpaper, and the seems will disappear with the water mist and paint.

I've painted a display model with craft store acrylics. Looks great, goes on easy (just not fuel proof)!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66473.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	583399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74175.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	583400  
Old 12-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Primodus

Great looking plane there. What do you thin the glue with? Alcohol or water?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Phlip

Water. About 1/2 and 1/2.